The Decision

The Decision

"We need to talk." I say, entering his office. He looks up and stares at me, not saying anything just his vibrant green eyes locked on me. Trying to read me but he can't. He hasn't been able to for a while.

After the long stretched silence begins to seem infinite he pushes whatever he was working on away and gestures me to sit down. Across from him. Like if this was just another one of his business meetings.

"Yes, we do need to talk." he sighs. I take a seat, and he puts his head in his arms, seeming distressed.

After a couple of steady breathes I begin, "Darius..." I pause. Looking at him now, so vulnerable, I want nothing more than to fall into his arms. Kiss away the agony. But I have to do this. I know that I do. It's been stretching on for a while and I know we've both been thinking this.

"Darius," I repeat, this time he looks up at me, "I think..." I can't say it, and he somehow detects it because he lets out a shaky breath and falls back into his chair, giving up.

"I know." He says. The words seem so definite coming out from his mouth. I close my eyes. I can't cry. I shouldn't. But it still hurts. A small part of me had been hoping that this was all just me. That I had been the only one feeling this way. That by the time I would leave this study I would have left with a complete different thought. That we would leave the study together. As one.

Opening my eyes, I see that he is staring at me. His eyes are glistening with unshed tears, but he quickly looks away, blinking rapidly.

"This isn't working anymore." I say, trying to keep my voice form breaking, but it's no use.

"Ivory," He struggles, "I have to keep working the long hours, I have to go on those extended trips."

"I know you do Darius." I say, "But look at us." I begin to let out a chuckle but it ends up being more like a sob.

Fighting the emotions coursing through me I continue, "We aren't happy anymore. You leave for months at a time and I hear from you what, twice a week?" I shake my head.

"Ivory, the time zones don't always work out and you know I am working." He retorts quickly. But even through his excuse I can hear the tiredness in his voice, and I know it's for the best. We've had these discussions too many times. This time it needs to end differently.

"I know Darius, and I'm not asking you to stop working. You love what you're doing. I love what you're doing, but..." I take a pause, breathing in, the inevitable outcome becoming closer with each word that I say.

Exhaling, I continue "Every time you come home we act like strangers." My eyes glisten and this time I don't stop the tears from falling, though I try to wipe them away as fast as they fall, "Is this it Darius?" I whisper.

For a while he says nothing. Just stares at me, watching my tears fall. One after the other, so fast that I am no longer trying to stop them.

Then he closes his eyes. And from the corner of his eye, a tear falls and then he speaks, "I wish I could say that things will change Ivory." He pauses, opening his eyes, they're red filled with regret, "but they won't. Things have been difficult ever since they..." he abruptly stops, vigorously shaking his head as if to shake away their memory.

"I know Darius." I say. The day that airplane took the lives of our parents, also took some of our own lives as well. I wish I could blame it. But I can't. I can't blame something that caused more pain to us for our fallout. We just aren't going to be able to ever get passed it.

"It has been hard, Ivory" he continues, "but we both hate it when I leave and we both hate it when I'm here. I think you're right." He puts his elbows on his desk and takes hold of my hand. He brings it to his lips, and for a moment I'm taken back to every night spent in his arms, every laugh we shared, all the kisses we stole.

Then he lets go and leans back on his chair.

"I'll contact our lawyer to discuss how we will-" he begins, but interrupt him before he could go any further.

"Keep it." I tell him, "You know I never wanted this company, and besides my father loved you. He would have wanted you to have it. It was the reason why this all began wasn't it?" We stare at each other. Both trying to remember the other. Asking each other if this is really the end.

He nods. Answering both questions, the spoken and unspoken one, "We will discuss this later."

With one last look, I get up to leave but just as my hand reaches the handle his voice stops me.

"Ivory," He calls out. I turn back with helpless hope to see him still sitting in his chair but tears are streaming down his cheeks, "I love you."

"I know." And with that I close his door.

As I am walking down the hall I hear a crash. The sound of something being furiously shattered. But I don't jump in surprise. My heart has gone through the same feeling enough times.