take~a~breather

"You know you never take a break right?" I sigh, closing the folder with pictures of the crime scene that happened last night. Barry stood there, his hands stuffed in the pockets of his jacket, his brown hair spiked and brushed to perfection, and his face gentle looking. Almost like - well lets put it this way: His attitude is always kind. This is the truth because I promise you wouldn't even see him hurt a fly.

Jay walked behind him heading somewhere else, but he did stop to wink at me. Ugh, that man disgusted me. His gelled blond hair, bright blue eyes. You'd think I'd be attracted to him. His playful manner, flirty personality. He's quite the opposite of me though. And he makes me gag every time I see him. And I have no clue why he's drawn to me. There's plenty of other women that would fall at his feet I can bet ya.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Yeah well - neither do you. " Looking up at him I catch his bright eyes looking at me in a smirk. "What?"

"Worst comeback ever." Did I say kindness?  Mark, my co-worker who practically has the same job as me lightly laughs at our conversation as he types away at his computer on his desk next to mine.

"Gee thanks Allen. I feel mocked."

He chuckled.  "Mocked?"

"Teased." I said twirling in my roller chair.

"Teased?" He asked, playing around.

"Judged."

"Wow. Didn't know the truth hurt that much."

"Bullied."

"Bullied? Are you running out of words, Lyra Evans?" His voice carried as I continued spinning in circles. I grinned.

"Nope. Not yet."

"Great." He said annoyed. But not a bad annoyed. He was annoyed with me in a good way. If you know what I mean. "But let's continue this at Jitters shall we?" He extended his arm, as a gentleman would. I grinned skipping over to him as my brown hair flopped in the air.

Interlocking my arm with his we carried on to one of my favorite places.

-

"This is nice." I smiled as I held the coffee close to my lips, in front of my face. Barry took off his black jacket revealing a nice blue sweater that brightened his eyes even more. Like what the heck. I could stare at them all day. They were just so beautiful.

Of course I would never tell him that. "Hey Barry, yeah. I kind of fantasize and obsess over your eyes. So if you could just sit still and let me take a picture of them so I can hang this picture on my wall. Yup that'd be nice."  I played with my long curls as I tried to not think about my awkward and weird thoughts.

"What are you planning to do tomorrow?" I finally asked. He brought his mug to his lips as I questioned him.

"What do you mean?"

"Tomorrow is Halloween you weirdo! What do you mean what do I mean?" He shrugged.

"Oh well that's pathetic." I said sarcastically, smiling.

"And that is rude." He pointed out.

"And that is mean."  I said seriously.

"And that is - um - " He struggled for words which made me laugh. "Wait! That is -"

"Ha!" I pointed to his face. "What'd you say about comebacks this morning?" I raised my eyebrows as I referred to what he had said just 30 minutes ago.

"Whatever."

We laughed. He smiled.

Then we took a peek at the past.  "Do you remember that time," he set down his mug. "when I accidentally threw your soccer ball too hard at the door. And it went -"