Chapter 5

• Dedicated to Nikki!!!

     Alice, Ches, Mallie, and the Hatter traveled for hours before they finally arrived at Malfine. The March Hare stayed behind to look after things. "Ches, do you remember where Ignious lives?" Alice asked. "I'm quite certain, although I do have my doubts." he replied. "Well take us there!" Mallie demanded excitedly. "Sure!" the cat said, trying to sound optimistic. "I hope he's still not mad..." he murmured. Alice frowned and walked to his side. "It's okay, Ches. I'm sure Igious'll forgive anything you've said to him. He sounds like a nice person." Alice soothed Ches, while stroking his back. "Thank you, Alice." Ches purred. Now. Where does Ignious live? "Right over there." Ches answered Alice's unspoken question. Alice shot him a look of confusion and fear. "I didn't ask anything. How did you know what I was thinking?" Alice asked. "Mind reading." was all he said. Mallie, sitting on Alice's shoulder, whispered "That was so odd. I didn't know Ches could do that." Alice shook her head. "I didn't know either." she replied.

     The group walked up to the house that Ches had pointed out as Ignious'. It was a light brown, but not beige, two-story house with a white, carved door with a golden knob and lock. Ches floated over to the door and made three, hesitant knocks to the door. The elegant door opened and a tall man greeted them. "Ches? What are you doing here?" the man asked. "Good to see you again Ignious. First of all, I came to apologize for what I said to you." he told the man. Ignious thought this over. "That was quite an argument we had, but I can't stay mad at you forever, Chessy." he apologized. "Thank you, Ignious." Ches accepted the apology. Ignious walked up to Ches and petted his head. Ches purred happily in reply. "Now. Would you mind explaining the others?" Ignious inquired. Ches floated to Alice. "Ignious, this little girl is Alice." Ches introduced Alice. She waved sheepishly. "Is she the Alice?" Ignious asked Ches. "I believe so." he replied. "What did Absalom say?" Ignious asked. "'Not hardly.' But that was a while ago. She may be more Alice now." Ches explained.

     Ignious looked confused, so Ches went on. "You know that's what he would say about the old Alice? It's what he DID say, now that I recall it." Ches concluded. Ignious simply nodded. "I need no more introductions. I know the rest of you. Good to see you again, Hatter." he said. "Please come inside." Ignious invited them in. The inside of the house looked just as impressive as the outside. All the furniture in the room matched in perfect harmony with one another as well as with the walls. A large, elegant living room was what Alice and her friends first walked into. A white couch with matching chairs sat in the middle of the room, along with a glass coffee table with a few books on it. On the wall, a flat screen television hung above an entertainment system with a DVD player and a console or two. Paintings of the forest and the beach decorated each wall. Even a grand mirror hung on the eastern wall. This is just the living room. I can't imagine how the rest of the house looks like. "It looks no different than the living room." Ches answered Alice's unspoken thought. "I thought I told you to stop doing that!" Alice hissed. Ches rolled his large eyes and followed Ignious as he sat down on the couch. Ches curled up on his lap and began to purr as Ignious stroked his back.

     "Alice, do you have any of the legendary weapons?" Ignious asked. "No. That's what we came here for. I wanted to ask you if I can have the Arrows of Jagged Silver." Alice replied. Ignious sighed as he thought about it. He and Ches murmured silently as they made their decision. "I think he'll let you have them." Mallie whispered. Alice nodded in agreement. "I've made my decision." Ignious began. "I'll let you have them. If!" he paused. "If?" Alice asked. "If I can keep Chessy." he finished. Alice looked at Ches. "Think, my dear Alice. We missed each other. I left because I was in a fit of rage. He forgave me. I don't want to leave him, and he doesn't want me to leave. May I stay? I promise that I will be there when Moltara Dar hits to see you kill the Riverbeest. That's a promise I will not break." Ches pleaded and promised with wide eyes. "Please?" he persisted. "Okay. You're happier here, so I'll let you stay." Alice agreed hesitantly. "Thank you Alice." Ches and Ignious said in unison. "The Arrows are upstairs hanging on a wall. They're still in the quiver, though." Ignious explained. "May I keep the quiver?" Alice asked. Ignious nodded. Mallie jumped off Alice's shoulder as she went to go look for the Arrows.

     Alice followed Ignious' instructions and found them hanging above a marble fireplace. Alice, being too short to reach them without help, brought a chair in from the kitchen to climb on. She grabbed the quiver off its prongs and slung them across her back. "Got 'em!" Alice claimed as she returned to the living room. Mallie jumped back on her shoulder. "May I see one?" she asked. Alice nodded and pulled one out. As the name implies, the Arrow's head was jagged to the touch. It had small spikes reaching out towards the Arrow's tip like claws. Alice tried to touch it, but the claws snagged her fingertip, making a small cut that bled a bit. Alice winced and shed a few tears, but recovered shortly. "You wouldn't happen to have a bow for these, do you?" Alice asked Ignious. "If you're referring to the Bow of Twisted Wood, no." Ignious replied. "No! I meant just a regular bow. Not much use without one, right?" Alice corrected. "Oh, well then I do have one. But be warned! Save those Arrows, Alice. They cannot be remade or recovered. Once it's used, it's gone." Ignious warned. "I suggest saving them for Moltara Dar. And getting regular arrows." Ignious suggested as he went to get Alice the bow. Alice nodded. "Thanks!" Alice thanked Ignious when he handed her the bow. "Next stop, the Forest of Sugar!" the Hatter said. At this, Ignious stiffened.