Episode 27: To Lie in Wait

My prestige within The Order escalated overnight. I become a celebrity, the youngest seer ever initiated, and part of an elite few gifted with the Sight. Inquiries poured in the next morning, asking if I might attend various gatherings across the worlds and serve as an Oracle. Mother politely reminded everyone I'd be returning to school soon, and was thus unavailable.

I found the new attention flattering. Though I was inexperienced, I looked forward to taking part in the Knoseidtru ceremonies someday.

After breakfast, Mother and I chatted in the conservatory.

"Did you find any new allies during your sojourn?" she asked, feeding a biscuit to Juno.

The bird swallowed her treat whole, then hopped onto my shoulder. "I see!"

I stroked Juno's sleek black wing. "It was difficult to determine the possible from the actual while I was there. But I did encounter someone."

"Who was it?"

"Grandfather Kraelis."

"What?" She seized my hand, startling Juno to a nearby tree limb. "Are you certain?"

"It could only have been him."

"Describe him," she said, her voice quavering.

"He was about your height, with long silver hair in a topknot, and a big mustache, eyes the same color as ours. His clothes were primitive, a leather kilt and a seer's bone mantle. And he had a lot more tattoos than you--animals and runes all over his body, including his face."

"I can scarcely believe it." She bowed her head, contemplating. "I've called to his spirit, and invoked the ancestors for any sign that he's near. But he's remained silent all these years. What did he say to you?"

I related all I'd experienced during my journey.

When I finished, she closed her eyes in profound relief. "Praise the Guardians. He still lingers with us. I hear you, dearest Olfar. I haven't forgotten you, or the Old Ways. And I won't rest until they suffer." She used the Pruessian term of endearment for 'Grandpa', a touching sentiment.

"What happened to him?" I asked. "I want to know the truth."

"It's a dangerous truth."

"Please, tell me. I'll help you."

"They killed him." Her voice fell to a whisper, and her eyes welled with tears. "Our kind, wise Olfar."

"What?" My blood froze

"What?" My blood froze. "Who killed him? The Order?"

She nodded, her fingers a vise around my arm. "Don't speak of it aloud. When the time comes to act, I'll tell you everything."

"How do you know they did it?"

Tears washed pallid lines through her makeup. "Because I watched it happen."