Break On Through

CHAPTER 53: BREAK ON THROUGH

Mystic Falls Hospital

They weren't sure, but if there was any chance of Alaric being insane and murdering people, then Natalie, Meredith and Elena wanted to know. So the three brunettes took him to the hospital, testing some things that Natalie didn't have a clue about half the time.

"So what exactly are you looking for?" the huntress questioned with a frown, looking over at the experienced doctor on her side.

Meredith shrugged, glancing between where Alaric was about to go into the MRI scanner and his worried daughter. "I don't know. A tumor, vascular anomalies, anything physical that might explain his behavior. If it's medical, I can treat it."

"And if it's not?" Elena broke into the conversation, wondering what they might do with him then.

The doctor pursed her lips together for a moment, not really having thought about what she might do if there wasn't any medical explanation. "Well, then we'll deal with that too."

A technician slid Alaric into the machine, getting him ready for a scan. Natalie, unknowingly, sucked in a breath as she closed her eyes at the thought of him having no way of being treated for whatever was going on. "When- when did you start to suspect him?" she breathed, letting the breath out.

Meredith looked at the shorter brunette next to her, knowing that even if the huntress wasn't a fan of her, she still wanted to help her father. "It was after he told me about his ring. I remembered a story my grandmother had told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal. I don't know if you know this, but we Fells are notorious busy-bodies."

"But then, why did you protect him?" Elena asked, suppressing a smirk as she knew all about her feelings for her guardian, she was the one who walked in on their first kiss after all.

"Because I'm a doctor, I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over. And because when he and I first met I felt like...I don't know, I- I just kind of want to help him." she shrugged, not really wanting to answer with anything that would make Natalie dislike her anymore. She had feelings for the girl's father, she had to at least try to be liked. She pressed a button so that she could speak to Alaric with a speaker. "Everything alright in there?"

"Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay." they got an answer, although he sounded weirdly different from before he entered the room.

▹▹▹

The scan was over not too long after and Alaric was so ready to get out of there and went to a hospital room to get ready. Natalie consulted with Doctor Fell as he was doing this and was getting some answers, no matter how few they may be. She needed to know everything about what was happening to him, so that she might have any chance to come up with some miracle idea, even though she seriously doubted she would be able to do it. That definitely wasn't a perk of being a pessimist.

"Meredith says that everything is normal." Natalie informed her father, a tired look on her face, making him wonder how much she'd been sleeping lately. She'd lie if she'd say that she hadn't been kept awake as she kept replaying the scene of her previous death to make some sense out of her thoughts. She still couldn't figure out how that made her feel about Klaus, better or worse. But she knew that she was never able to apologize to Kol, and that was probably a good idea. He didn't seem predictable.

Alaric decided not to comment on it in fear of her murdering him in his sleep. "Yeah, well, everything is normal, because there is nothing wrong with me. I didn't kill Brian Walters, I didn't kill Bill Forbes, and I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach. Or I did and I've gone insane, just like your ancestor who wore that ring." he said, glancing down at the large ring on his finger.