Chapter 32

I needed a distraction immediately. Something that would make me forget about Brianna's choking and vulnerability yesterday. For once I didn't want Donovan as my distraction, nor Lea. I wanted - needed a book.

Seeing that I had finished reading all of the books I borrowed from Leonardo's library, I decided to go to his library again to get some more. That was where I was heading to right now.

Dressed in pyjamas, I walked to the library. It was seven, an hour after my chores had finished. As I did my chores, my memories of yesterday had vanished. I hadn't even thought about what happened yesterday. But then, when I was alone they began to swarm my mind.

The way Brianna was broke my heart. I had never seen someone cry so hard, and I really didn't blame her. Seeing her choke was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen. It must of been even scarier for her because she was the one living it. Pity welled up within me whenever I thought about that. I felt really bad for her.

Finally reaching the huge doors to the library, I took a deep breath in to calm my nerves down. A bit of excitement also filled me at the thought of drowning in books. I loved the books I previously borrowed, so I was more excited to read. Especially when they would give me an escape from these dreadful thoughts.

Stepping into the library, I noticed a gleam of light at the far off corner of the room. A light that belonged to a lamp. Curious, I walked over to the light source, wondering who would be here.

To my surprise, it was Leonardo. He had his nose stuck in a book, reading intently. Not wanting to bother him, I decided to leave the library so he could be alone. I was also about to do that for myself because I felt awkward in his presence. It had been a while since we saw each other, long before my life had become so hectic.

However, before I could turn around I heard him say, "Alanna."

I stopped myself from turning around and looked at him. He was wearing reading glasses that rested on the bridge of his nose. With tired eyes he stared at me, seeming to see me as a new person. I felt uncomfortable.

"Hey sir," I said. "Sorry to bother you, I'll leave."

"No, no," he said, shaking his head. "Stay, get whatever you need from here."

I nodded awkwardly. "Okay."

"Don't leave when you're done though," he said seriously. "I want to talk to you."

I frowned as something twisted within my stomach. Suddenly, I felt sick. Like I would throw up, which was definitely not a good sign.

I was also trying to avoid Brianna and here I was having to speak to her father. From his serious expression, I knew it was not something light. That made my sickening feeling worsen.

"Okay," I said again. "I'll be quick."

Leonardo nodded. "Good."

Turing around, I decided to find some books. Even though I told him I would be quick, I decided to take my time looking. I hoped he would get busy and avoid talking to me. For some reason I was extremely nervous to hear what he wanted to say. Probably because it would involve Brianna.

Walking from bookshelf to bookshelf, I searched long and hard for a book that would be perfect to read. Something that would be worth the long search I purposely forced myself into. That proved to be difficult, seeing that all the books I saw were equally good.

After twenty minutes, I sighed and grabbed a book that looked interesting. By this point I had given up and was willing to talk to Leonardo. It was better to get it over with than to dread it for another fifteen minutes.