Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

Synnove's scream seemed to take the life out of my beating heart. Everything around me washed away and was replaced with visions of death, but it was much worse than before. I felt my body collapse to the ground and the Heirloom of Illtyd fall from my hands.

I sensed the Barghest moving closer, but I could do nothing in the midst of Synnove's scream. It foretold the death of all who resided in Eremith. Darkness would swallow the world and plunge it into chaos.

Stand.

My mind stilled immediately and breath returned to my lungs. The voice in my head was like a soft breeze washing away the darkness. It was soft, yet powerful, and was like nothing I had ever heard before.

Stand, Harbinger of Water, it repeated.

I put my hand on the ground, feeling the dirt beneath my palm. The Barghest's darkness was almost touching my finger, and I looked up to see blood red eyes gazing into mine. I flung myself backward and grasped the Heirloom of Illtyd. I swung it before me to ward the Barghest off. It backed up hastily and growled a deep, guttural sound.

Whatever creature spoke to me had stopped Synnove's scream from penetrating my mind. The woman in question was collapsed on the dirt behind me at the edge of the valley, her eyes staring ahead blankly. I faced the Barghest. I never thought I'd be the one protecting Synnove from the beast she wanted revenge against.

Then again, I never thought Synnove was a banshee.

The Heirloom of Illtyd vibrated with energy in my grip. The Barghest advanced-and so did the shadows. They blackened the grass and curled over a small mouse hiding beneath a leaf. When the shadows retreated, the mouse was gone. In its place was a pile of bones.

Fear pierced through my heart like a jagged dagger, and the dread spread like poison. The darkness consumed anything living in its path, shriveling plants as the Barghest stepped forward.

But the sword in my hand did not falter. I could feel it roar with life. It cast a blinding light that seared the darkness and created a path in front of me.

I moved forward, forcing the Barghest to retreat several steps. Get it away from Synnove as far as you can, I told myself. As she was now, Synnove was only a liability.

The Barghest growled and darted to the side so quickly that I barely had time to evade the slash of its claws. It slid to the side, claws uprooting foliage and scraping against rocks. Recovering rapidly, the Barghest charged me. I hurled myself out of its way again, but not before swiping at the beast's muzzle. It easily dodged my blow, and my momentum sent me crashing to the ground. My shoulder burned as I righted myself. I avoided another swipe from the Barghest's claws by rolling over on my side. The wolf growled, its bellow deep and guttural.

You are useless.

I stood, confused by the sudden, strange words inside my head.

You mean nothing.

The voice that spoke was monotone and lifeless. Anonymous. It was so clear that it pierced through every thought. The Barghest stood oddly still in front of me, the shadows rolling about its feet as the voice continued.

Worthless. Worthless. Worthless. Worthless. Worthless. WORTHLESS. WORTHLESS. WORTHLESS.

I clutched at my ears, almost dropping my sword. What were these thoughts? They ravaged my mind like arrows.

The Barghest didn't advance. Instead, it stayed where it was, as if hesitating. The words continued to repeat in my head. They emanated from the Barghest, grasping like tendrils of hatred and despair. But even though they appeared in my mind, I knew they weren't meant for me. What they were meant for, I didn't know.