Chapter 10

Author: So I decided to continue this story here, and hopefully you guys will enjoy it and give a fire to writer the second book.

 I enjoyed the cool breeze on my face. It was a reminder of the cold weather soon on the way. As I entered Central Academic Building, I noticed many more students than usual. It was easy to spot J. Ling who looked up just as I passed. He smiled and I threw up my hand in a friendly greeting. I made my way to the steps to start my dreaded climb only to stop short, when I nearly plunged into the chest of the great paper chaser of the year, Nate Kronus.

He was looking at his Tablet-probably checking the reading material for his classwork. Standing next to him was Eliza, so elegant as always. Her hair hung thick and shiny as usual. She was checking her reflection in the glass doors. She leaned over and whispered in Nate's ear, her light pink nails a shocking color against his dark green jacket. He would be paired up with her classic feminine elegance. Probably a beauty queen contestant her entire life

. Clumsily, I made a course correction by faking left and continuing my assent.

 I tried not to look back. Against that warning in my gut, as soon as I reached the top, I tried to steal a glance. Bad idea, Nate was looking right at me and if I did not know better, he seemed to be laughing. I made a direct run for my classroom to catch up with Bethany. She had her head down trying to catch a nap but I needed her awake and alert, so I shook her.

 At that moment Nate was coming through the doorway to the room. I tried not to stare again but, my eyes seemed to drift back to Nate who was greeting another one of his friends. I blinked at the shock of red hair. Ashe Donovan was here, too? What happened to our class? Something weird was going on, and I didn't like where it seemed to be heading.

"Bethany," I said, as she slowly became aware of the change happening in this room. Bethany and I both were familiar with Ashe Donovan, actually his name was Ashebel, but everyone we knew called him Ashe. Candy was obsessed with him—to put it mildly. She had even dyed her hair the same color as his, "Hyper Red".

 Ashe had shaved his head on both sides leaving the mane in the center much like a Mohawk. He was tall and lean with an acceptable level of gothic edge about him. He chatted with Nate and Eliza seeming not to have a worry in the world. 

 Candy was not alone in her interest in this group. Each of them were fascinating, most likely because they were rich kids. We enjoyed making jokes at the expense of these wealthy kids. Somehow it helped to even the playing field. Even so, there was an element of admiration hidden under it all.

We maintained a subtle surveillance of their interaction. I was observing over my copy of "Romeo and Juliet" when, without any warning, Nate turned towards me, his eyes meeting mine. The jolt that ran through my body was the same as being in a physical grip. It reminded me of times when Tex often squeezed the air from my lungs in a bear hug. I jerked my book up quickly to hide my eyes, saying to myself, "Play dead. Act natural. Oh my god!" My mind exploded.

Professor Richardson droned on explaining the purpose for combining several study groups of seemingly unrelated classes into said larger study groups. The Professor emphasized the improvement to curriculum and the implications and advantages that would be realized by the administrative and budgetary concerns of the University. Finally, the Professor summarized, this conjoined study would broaden the lens through which students view literature and inject more logic in the development of social concepts.

Once he concluded this introduction, he announced, "So now that everyone is clear on the objectives of combining disciplines, I have selected optimum research teams that will explore these aspects from various perspectives for the next six weeks." 

 Bethany and I stared at each other, both of our expression weary. We were aware of what was about to happen a sense of uneasiness slipped down our spines. We glanced back at all the students who were not originally in this course, and they stared at us. I couldn't help thinking of 'West Side Story'. Perhaps the music would start and we could break into a dance-off just like the Sharks and Jets.

Professor Richardson's voice was ominous as he continued, "So, when I call two people each of you please walk down here and pick up the syllabus. Then proceed to the library for research delegation of the standard mid-term paper delivery." Bethany sort of smiled at me and shrugged. But I had a bad feeling about this and said, "Uh oh, here it comes, the real deal."

The names were called one at a time. Everyone looked like they were headed to the guillotine. Bethany faked gagged, when she heard she'd be partnered with a guy named Neil. We did not know him but his reputation wasn't exactly stellar, since he happened to be considered an obnoxious loud-mouth and a bully on campus and the football field. It is hard to believe that anyone would be called a bully at a University.

Neil stood up slowly and stretched. He tilted his head left and right to make his neck crack. Bethany tried not to react but the atmosphere was charged as she stood next to him expecting him to take the document from J. Ling. Instead, he smiled and proceeded to crack his knuckles. Bethany shuddered jerking the new syllabus from J. Ling.

She threw the syllabus on the desk and crossed her arms. "Ugh, our teacher has managed to find a way to torture us and it's so early in the semester, unbelievable." I nodded in agreement, and returned to my distraction of drawing butterflies in the corner of my notepad. I heard my name and lifted my head. The blood rushed into my face as I stood. Professor Richardson gave me sharp look of minor irritation for who-knows-what?

Since I was doodling, perhaps I reacted too slowly. I took a step back toward J. Ling since he was handing out the documents. Then I turned to be directly met by a familiar green jean jacket that covered a solid chest. Nate put his hands on each of my shoulders which sent a shockwave of awareness straight to my core. He extended his arms to push me at least that distance from him, as if my proximity would smooze onto his shoes like viscous vile liquid.

 Nate maintained eye contact with my unflinching glare. With the grace of a ballet dancer, one hand extracted the papers from J. Ling. As he let go of me, he turned around and rushed back to where his comrades were gathered. I just stood there. My feet stayed planted, while my brain attempted to assimilate this crazy experience. I mean, I don't think I'm that repulsive. I gathered my thoughts after a minor hesitation and headed back to my seat, only to be abruptly called again by the Professor emphasized hand waving to indicate that I follow Nate Kronus from the class. 

 I sighed, "Oh, god, somebody please make it all stop."