Part 15

The next morning the townspeople crowded along the sides of the main channel, where a boat had stopped to get loaded with supplies for the Company of Thorin Oakenshield. The people were silent when the Company came marching towards the boat, fully decked in armor.

Aspect walked last, behind them all. She had put on an armor just to be polite, but she felt uncomfortable, like her wolf itching inside her. "You do know we are one short? Where is Bofur?," Bilbo asked Thorin worried.

"If he is not here, we leave him behind," Thorin commanded.

"We will have to, if we are to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays," Balin said.

They started boarding the barge. One after one the dwarves and Bilbo came onboard, Thorin standing in the entrance counting them. He put his hand forward when it was Aspect's turn to board. "Not you. We must travel at speed, you will slow us down," Thorin said, looking at her.

"What are you talking about? I am coming with you. I am the fastest one here," Aspect said and laughed in disbelief.

"No, no. Aspect, stay here and rest. Join us when you are healed," Thorin said, the last sentence in a slightly ironic-friendly tone, and turned. Aspect looked at Fili who was already in the barge, and Fili looked worried back.

"I will stay with the lady. My duty lies with the wounded," Oin said and walked off the barge to join Aspect. Aspect gave Oin a smile and a nod, moving the big helmet she had on her head. Her wolf-ears got squeezed.

"Uncle, I am sorry, but I will not leave Aspect here," Fili suddenly bursted out.

Aspect started to fickle with the strap on her helmet, to get it off. As the seconds went she felt more and more claustrophobic. "Fili, I need help," Aspect whispered as panic occurred, but it wasn't loud enough for him to hear.

"I will carry her if I must!," Fili yelled, stepping up to Thorin.

"One day you will be King and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one girl," Thorin said. Fili looked over to Aspect, then got off the barge. Thorin grabbed his arm and stopped him. "Fili, do not be a fool. You belong with the company." Aspect got the strap open, and got her helmet off.

"I belong with Aspect. She is the one who needs me now," Fili said, turned to join Aspect and Oin. Aspect let the helmet go, and it fell to the ground with a loud metal-bang.

"Thank you," Aspect said and gave Fili a hug. They smiled to each other when they let go.

"I will stay with my brother," Kili suddenly said to Thorin.

"Kili please, stay with the company. You belong here too," Thorin said resigned and tried to stop Kili.

"I belong with my brother," Kili said and got of the barge to join the others on land.

The trumpets announced the Master as he stepped onto a platform, and the crowd cheered in excitement.

In the meantime in the Masters house, Bofur was passed out drunk under a table when he heard the trumpets, and woke up. "By my beard, is that the time?!," he shrieked as he rose and banged his head into a table, grabbed a half-filled beer and took a sip before he rushed out to join the others on the dock.

"Go now with our good will," the Master of Lake-Town said.

"Wait!," Bofur screamed as he ran down the long stairs, down to the dock.

"And may your return bring fortune to all!," the Master continued. No one heard Bofur. The crowd cheered as the Company set off on the barge down the lake.

Bofur pushed through the crowd, but when he reached the dock the rest of the company had left and was too far down the lake to see him. "No!," he screamed. He turned around in disbelief, and noticed Aspect, Fili, Kili and Oin. He lit up. "Did you miss the boat as well?," he asked joyful.

Suddenly Aspect fell to the ground. Fili and Kili grabbed her as fast as they could. "Aspect are you okay? Aspect!," Fili screamed, shaking her slightly.

Fili, Kili, Oin and Bofur took Aspect to Bard's house, and knocked on the door. Bard opened, but when he noticed who it was, he shut the door quickly. "No. I am done with dwarves, and the girl. Go away!," he yelled, but Bofur stopped him.

"No! No! You are the only one we trust at this. Aspect is sick," Bofur begged. Bard opened the door a little more to get a better look at Aspect, who laid pale and still between Fili's arms. "She is very sick."

*

"Can you not do something?," Bofur asked Oin worried. They had laid Aspect down in a bed in Bard's living room, and now they all stood over her, worried. Aspect was still out.

"I need herbs, something to bring down her fever," Oin answered as he looked at Aspect.

"We have nightshade," Bard said as he looked down at Oin.

"They are no use to me. Do you have any Kingsfoil?," Oin asked and looked around.

"No, it is a weed. We feed it to the pigs," Bard replied.

"Pigs?," Bofur said to himself and lit up. "Weed? Right." He turned to Aspect that lay in a bed. "Do not move."