The One That Got Away - Part 2

As I meticulously adjusted the objects on my dorm-room desk just so, as to appear both effortlessly organized and yet lived-in, I heard a knock on the door. Decked out in all green, I leaped toward the door, eager for my night to begin. With his flipped hair and a huge grin, Adam bounced into the room. His monotone voice seemed especially silly as he attempted enthusiasm, yelling, "Yaaaaaaaaaay."

We did shots until we heard another knock, and Ilana peeked into the room. As she hugged Adam hello for the first time, she looked at me over his shoulder, and her wide eyes communicated her approval. Adorable, she mouthed. I know, I mouthed in reply. The three of us continued to drink for a bit, then-clad in all green-we made our way downstairs and hailed a cab.

We pulled up to a broken-down mansion, vibrating from the loud music playing inside. This was the home of the Jewish fraternity, so we made our way through the crowd. Ilana knew the mother of every Jewish boy in the frat, so we had the VIP status to skip the line and make our way to the beer keg.

"So what's your type?" Ilana yelled, asking Adam between gulps of beer, nudging me and with her eyes saying to me, I'm asking for you, if you couldn't tell. Hopefully he says boys with glasses and a pathological need for attention. Yes, her eyes said all of that.

"I'm not sure . . . I'll know when I see her."

Oh, so we're gonna play that game still? Okay, well, if you're identifying as straight for the night, I'm identifying as straight-to-bed, because daddy needs dick and he's gonna find some, regardless of whether it's you, Adam.

Adam and I slumped onto a couch in the basement and did a "Cheers" with our drinks, but my real attention was on scanning the crowd for Mr. Right (Now). The scene was exactly as I'd imagined, wood-paneled walls and a musty aura-except my soul mate didn't seem to be walking down those stairs. I turned to Adam, annoyed, and made conversation.

We told each other our majors and complained about professors. Eventually, we both concluded that we had gotten a little too drunk prematurely, and we were nearing blackout. We agreed that we should probably make our way back toward the dorms and call it a night. I sighed as I walked up the stairs, admitting defeat as we made our way outside to hail a cab.

We climbed into the backseat, Adam scooting all the way over and me following in after him. I leaned forward to slur to the driver, "We'll be making . . . uhhh, two stops pleasssssse. Wilsssson Hall, first." As I leaned back against the seat, my arms braced at my sides, holding me up. I closed my eyes and felt myself almost spinning. Maybe all that alcohol wasn't my smartest move.

Frustrated and beating myself up over my failed tactic of finding a boyfriend at the party, I decided, Fuck this, I'm done searching for a guy. If a guy wants me, that's his choice. I need to chill the fuck out and just enjoy life, and that's when someone's going to come along and sweep me off my feet. My head spun, I closed my eyes, and I began to drift off to sleep. Suddenly, my eyes shot open and I snapped back to sober reality.

I looked down between Adam and me. What I thought might be happening was indeed confirmed to be happening. Adam's hand had slid its way under mine, palm down, so that I was now holding it between us. I looked to my left and saw his eyes were closed. Was this an accident? Did he forget I was a guy? What's happening?

Just to test the waters, I gave his hand the softest squeeze, and he flipped his hand around, palm up, to hold mine. This can't be happening. I closed my eyes again as his fingers slowly interlaced with mine, his thumb gliding over my palm. I opened my eyes again and looked in his direction. He was already looking my way, smiling. This isn't happening. I smiled back. Without a word, he scooted his body slowly my direction, never breaking eye contact, until his face hovered an inch away from mine. Yep, those eyes are definitely hazel.

"Hi," I whispered.

"Hey," he whispered back, grinning.

I melted, and with that, he leaned toward me, closing the gap. His kiss was full, and his hands were ambitious, and he only pulled away for a second to make one request.

"Driver, please make that one stop."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so that's part 2! Y'all ain't even READY for the next snippet... if you liked this one, let me know by clicking HERE to share it with your Twitter people. Part 3 comes Monday, October 12th! Visit http://tyleroakleybook.com/ to preorder BINGE at & see if I'm coming to your town for my Book Tour!