Deep below the towering skyscrapers, the wet cement, the digging roots of aged trees, the utilitarian tunnels designed by teams of uncivil engineers and the ancient bedrock is a miles wide transportation hub frequented by the outerworldly. This is The SubverCity Station.
A first time visitor to the station might feel overwhelmed by the seemingly infinite routes of departure and inconclusive arrivals. But by taking in the perspective of differing viewpoints, while staring down any one of the multitude of reality tunnels, this visitor will eventually find themselves - Here - In the broadcast range of The SubverCity Transmit.
INTRO MUSIC PLAYS.
A computer, SENORI, beeps.
STATION ANNOUNCEMENT VOICE:
Please mind the landing zones. Eyes up!
Ahhh, Balloon 232, I see you've just landed in bay 4. I'd like to welcome you to our very grand and very central station here in the SubverCity. YOUR outpost is our newest and this is probably your first time this far into the realms. You are our VIP guests today! And take a moment to congratulate yourselves, if you haven't already, because you really are intrepid and audacious travelers. Given the opportunity I can't say I'd be as bold as you lot. I've been here, in a frighteningly small radius around the station, for most of my life. (I can almost hear Saul in the deep vents, snickering. He's been urging me to hop any one of our rails for years but, well ... I've been waiting for all of you, haven't I?)
AM LAUGHS. PIPE TAPPING HEARD IN THE DISTANCE.
Some guidelines for the station, friends:
- Listen to the announcements - they're made for your safety.
- Look for the SubverCity Trans agents. They're usually the best looking ones around (you know I love you ladies and gents!) and they're also the most informed. If you can't find your gate, dock or portal just flag one down and ask away.
- Your money's no good here. Seriously, the task of trying to exchange all of the currencies involved in this inter-dimensional / inter-time / extra-geographical port is mind boggling. Instead we work on a system of bartering, favors and honor code. Tips are appreciated but not expected.
- Pets of all kind are welcome. We just ask that if they're dangerous to your fellow travelers they're registered with the SubverCity vet who will administer a soothing whisper to calm them while in our safe zones.
- And lastly, please mind your luggage. If it's sentient, there's a special tag you can use so we'll know to address it directly.
All of that and I've just realized I haven't introduced myself! I'm AM. AM Onymous. The voice of the SubverCity Transmission, and my job here is to keep you informed and to keep you entertained while you are prepped for your journeys. And my favorite way to do that is to read you tales from the ports and customers we serve.
Let me just dial today's selection up on my guidance system...I pre-record these after work so I don't get distracted you see.
It's a tale from the world of Subterran - where inhabitants live in a bizarre, socialist territory deep below the ice of Antarctica, during a time that lays in the future of our clocks here in the hub. This one's about a consort I may or may not have had the pleasure of intimately meeting. OK I've got it ready - let me just quickly check the rating on this.
Not for kids.
Alright you heard the system - this one isn't explicit but it might be best to tune the headsets of any younger passengers to something a bit lighter. And without further morning dew... today's story.
STORY INTRO MUSIC BED PLAYS.
["Ichiban Marie Clairvoyant's Soul Killer School" by Corin Reyburn is this episode's story.]
OUTRO MUSIC BED.
Subterran is a bright place. There's like... an unbelievable amount of neon. And I think that's why I love it so. You know Crystal sends me postcards now and again but with the time change they sometimes arrive before she's written them. I'm not too keen on this Megin though. Crystal can probably do better.
Oh what perfect timing. You all got to hear the whole of that story before your wheels were up on your connecting craft. If you can see me in the booth, this hand gesture I'm making is Saldonian for "May the air cloud beneath you." Good bye travelers. Be safe. Be ware. Be out there!
OUTRO MUSIC PLAYS.
YOU ARE READING
SubverCity Transmit (LGBT stories)Science Fiction
SubverCity Transmit is a podcast featuring speculative fiction story submissions (that favors LGBTQIA characters). A.M. Onymous, the narrator, tells her own stories before and after each tale to paint a picture of the fictional underground transport...