Chapter 1: Stupid Pervert Wearing a V-neck Tee

"I can't believe you got a baby sitting job. You. Out of all people." Sam complained. I raised my eyebrow. "What are you trying to say?"

He looked at me in complete annoyance. I adjusted myself on the world class bus seat; which was really just a piece of plastic that was waiting to provide its people friendly blisters. "You know how you are around kids. All clumsy and ditsy and stuff." He muttered.

I scoffed. It was obvious he wasn't exactly proud of the fact that I had gotten a job before my one-year-older best friend. He knows I'm great around kids. He'd just hate to admit it. "You don't have to be jealous. You should feel happy for me."

And so he should. My first ever part-time job ever and I had gotten it right after school had ended. "I am definitely not jealous!" he protested.

I always loved it when Sam got onto his defensive side. His eyebrows narrow, his mediocre arms flail and he stomps his feet. It's like watching a squirrel wearing itchy pants.

"Anyway," Sam changed the subject,

"Didn't you say you wanted to get into University of Toronto or something to me a Derma-whatever."

I pulled the bus's stop request bell and stood up.

"A dermatologist." I corrected him.

I pushed open the stiff back door as Sam followed behind. The warm summer breeze combed through my black hair as we walked side by side down the sidewalk.

"Same difference. So why aren't you applying? Isn't it suppose to be like the top University in Canada?" he mentioned.

I sighed. As if I wasn't thinking about this before. "There are so many flaws with that plan." I huffed, walking a little faster to my little sister's summer school. He jogged over to my side again.

"Like...?" Sam pushed.

I whipped my head towards him. "Oh, maybe the fact that Toronto is 100 miles away from Stratford and I have a 6 year old sister who has no one to take care of her. And not to mention the fact that universities cost a shitload of money." I rambled off.

I felt my muscles tighten. I hated thinking about the future because it never looked as perfect as I wanted it to be when I was younger. Sam grabbed a hold of my arms.

"Slow down. Take a deep breath." His voice lowered into his monotone effect. He swept away the dirty blonde hair from his blue eyes and looked into my green ones. I tried my best to avoid them.

"Look at me." He enforced.

I felt our walking pace slow down. My eyes found his.

"Everything is going to be alright. You have a job. You have a little sister who loves you. And might I say, a rather dashing best friend." A smile crept across my face.

I looked down on the ground with my mind clear of all the temporary negative thoughts.

"Sam Chester, ya did it again." I punched his arm.

I heard children's voices slowly filling the air louder and louder. I looked to see floods of little gremlins running towards their loved ones. I scanned through the crowd looking for mine. She shouldn't be too hard to find.

Leah was always very different from the others, even at such a young age. If everyone had to write the letter "A", she'd write it in bubbles letters with colors filled in it. Despite her creativity, she can be a trouble maker. The teacher would always call in a parent/teacher conference because of something she had done. The teacher once said "When pigs fly" and she began throwing toy pigs into the air, one almost knocking the teacher in the face. I admit, I found it hilarious the way she handled things like that, but not many people think it's very "proper"; whatever that means. I just hope she knows that being different is a good thing.