The Dragon's Scale

*chapter can be skipped, it's just here to say hi to readers and explain a couple things*

Summary

Magic, heroes, dragons. Josh Davidson has seen it all--in video games and movies, of course, because they would never be anything but fiction.

Yet his dreams are slipping into reality, he is experiencing sudden energy surges, and a persistent voice is taking residency in his head.

All of the insanity explodes when his bully goes on a murderous rampage, and the only one who can stop him is a beautiful girl wielding a bow and shooting magical ice arrows.

The experience leads Josh to the truth: he's a Paladin, someone soul-bound to a dragon. Not only does he now have a dragon reaching into his thoughts, but the new status comes with magical powers meant to help him in his fight against the forces of darkness.

Josh is more than eager to hone his new skills and help the Paladins in their fight, but the darkness they face is rising from its slumber, intent on destroying the Paladins and everything they stand for. Josh will have to learn fast, because the most important decisions are those he cannot escape.

Decisions that risk not only the war which the Paladins fight, but the very people he holds dear.

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to The Dragon's Scale, the first book in The Soul-Bound Chronicles. Glad to see you here. Pull up a chair, plop down by the fire, and let's do this, shall we?

I don't know how you found your way here, but you've stumbled upon my most precious project. I love all my works, but this one holds a very special place in my heart. It's based on a world my brother and I created when we were kids -- the world of the Mighty Dragons. We would act out many different versions of the story for fun, and now the torch to continue Mighty Dragons has been passed to me in book form. I hope you can enjoy this passion project of mine and it can be as dear to you as it is for me.

For those who look at the tags, this story is marked as Christian Fantasy. What does that mean? It will be clean of language, clean of sexual scenes, and littered with Biblical references. It also means it's simply influenced by Christianity. Non-Christians can and have read this with no problem and enjoyed. Think Narnia or Lord of the Ring :P

Although this project is very close to me, I am always looking to improve, so don't hesitate to give me any constructive criticism you may have. Also don't be afraid to share your good thoughts because, boy, do I love feedback.

I think that is all that needs to be said, so let's move on from the introduction.

Chapters

The chapters for The Dragon's Scale will usually be 4k-6k words, but for Wattpad they'll be broken up into parts of 1.5k - 2.5k, give or take a little.

This is because I understand that reading on Wattpad is harder on the eyes and it doesn't always book mark correctly.

However, because of this, chapter ends and starts may not always feel organic.

Chapters labeled like such ||Chapter 1.1|| have not yet been separated.  Chapters labeled like Chapter 1.1 (so missing the double ||) have been separated.

This book is somewhere between 125,000 words and 130,000 words.

Copyright

© Cross-Warrior 2021. All rights reserved.

This story and its content are copyright of Cross-Warrior & licensed for use by W A T T P A D and T A P A S only. All attempts to steal this content are illegal and fraudulent and will be punished to the full extent of the law. I do not consent to this story being reproduced, copied, plagiarised, or stolen in any way.

 I do not consent to this story being reproduced, copied, plagiarised, or stolen in any way

Achievements

🐲 Highest ranked #258 in Fantasy as of May 5th, 2018 (Old System)

🐲 30k reads as of March 7th, 2020

🐲 50k reads as of January 15th, 2021

🐲 Featured in Editor's Pick for January 2021

🐲 thefictionawards Best Fantasy winner of The Fiction Awards 2020

🐲 TheXFactorAwards first place winner

🐲 TheSeasonAwards first place winner in Fantasy

🐲 TheAlbinaCommittee first place winner in Fantasy/Sci-Fi

Trailer

Trailer made by the flipping amazing SongofLightandShadow

(Note - she didn't know the entire plot when making this, but it's still freaking epic and makes me, the writer, excited to get deeper into this story)