T W E N T Y - O N E: The Choice

Start from the beginning

How did I get involved in all of this? Wyatt tries to trace the source but he's in so deep he doesn't know where the beginning is, nor the ending for that matter. A year from now and he's pretty sure all this will still be sinking in. To think, he may have had a previous life. Here he is sitting in this car as his past loved ones are standing over his grave somewhere perhaps across the world. The thought is unfathomable.

Then there's Josslyn who's got him in a world wind of emotions, got him pushing his own boundaries, breaking his own convictions about married woman. Hell, how do you even marry an invisible man? He should just cut her loose. Let her fend for herself, she's got a husband anyway. He glances toward her window.

Then he sees it. Her smile. He hears it. Her laughter. He feels it. Her suffering. He knows it. He's fallen. If he shows up tomorrow and she's moved on to her eighth lifetime, there'd be a hole in his chest, a guilty conscientious in his mind, and forever, he'll look toward the sky wondering where Josslyn and Edwin are in this big world. He knows that there are just some phenomenons in life he'll never come back from - this is one of them. And he can't help but feel responsible for her, as though a higher force has put him here for a greater purpose - not that he's superstitious, but after everything he's witnessed, he's come to accept that anything is possible.

A light catches the corner of his eyes. He squints them to see that Josslyn has crawled out of the back door and ran into the nearby forest in the dark of night - in the midst of a white out. What's she up to? His brain tells him to stay put but his body is already halfway after her, chasing the elongated glow of a very heavy duty florescent flash light. He trails just close enough, his breath swirling in the cold frigid weather.

He follows her footprints up a steep embankment, up wet slippery boulders; upward she climbs - sometimes on all fours.

"Oomph!" She loses her footing and tumbles down right past him.

"Josslyn!" He runs after her, gripping her in his arms as she struggles to get back up and winches in pain toward her ankle.

"You okay?" Wyatt asks.

"What the!" Josslyn immediately rise to her feet, "what are you - are you following me?" She yells and shoves him into the snow. 

"What am I doing here?" Wyatt points to himself, "what are you doing out here? You see that fast approaching snowstorm?" He directs his finger toward the western sky.

Josslyn speaks through clenched teeth, "I don't care, I need to find Edwin!" She limps toward the basket of food that now sprawl a mess everywhere.

"You brought food into the forest for Edwin? There are wild dangerous animals that can smell that from a mile away!"

"I've dealt with animals, I've fought a bear, I'll live another day so just go away!"

Fought a bear! He grips onto her shoulder, forcing her to face him. "Either we go forward together or I bring you back with me. It's not safe out here! How do you expect to make it up this mountain when you can't even walk - in a snowstorm no less?"

She struggles to break free, "damn it, Wyatt! Let me go!" She pushes, punches, and shoves him, "I'm pregnant!"

Wyatt stumbles to the ground in shock.

"I'm pregnant...I need to find Edwin, I need to tell him."

Pregnant? Wyatt pants, "A-are you sure? Josslyn, if you're pregnant and you're - you're sure, then you know damn well you shouldn't be heading in there! You've got to think for two now." Wyatt huffs, "I'm sure Edwin will be thrilled about the news - anyone would, but you've got to hold out a little bit longer. We'll come back in the morning, I can even help you find him if - "