Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

9. The Awakening

9. The Awakening

{Naya}

That night I could not sleep.

I put half the blame on Ritsu for snoring less like a monkey and more like a congested yeti. The other cause for my insomnia was stress. My brain refused to turn off. It was on a mission to figure out all the scenarios in which I could fail at fulfilling my contract.

I had no doubt that Uri could master technology and maybe even learn how to drive a car in a month. But a job? He would have to go in for an interview. With no college degree. And very little experience if any.

By the time the fake sun was rising beyond my balcony, I was whimpering at how exhausted I was. Still, my body would not let me sleep. Not even for thirty minutes.

As soon as sunlight had completely filled the room, I heard a satisfied yawn leaving the body of the monkey next to me. "Good morning, Mistress!"

Rolling over, I muttered, "Aren't you chipper?"

I made another attempt to go to sleep, but Ritsu poked me with his tiny hands.

"Uh, Mistress?"

I grunted in reply.

"Do you have anything to eat? Something besides those nuts . . . . They're awfully salty."

Looking over my shoulder, I asked him, "Do demons eat?"

"In our true forms, no. But right now my essence is confined to this small primate, which happens to have a very high metabolism."

A loud gurgling erupted from Ritsu's abdomen. He rubbed the spot gingerly and flashed a nervous smile. Feeling somewhat responsible for his discomfort, I hauled myself to my feet and used a little magic to freshen up and change clothes. Then I scooped Ritsu up, perched him on my shoulder, and painted the air with the word smoke.

After materializing in the apartment, I dropped the monkey off in the kitchen so he could search for some food. Before I could talk myself out of it, I made my way to Uri's room.

The inside was small and bare – only a dresser and low rising bed. Uri's sleeping form lay spread eagle and tangled in sheets. Pillows had been cast to the floor.

Unlike Ritsu, Uri didn't snore. Though I did notice a small reservoir of drool forming on a spot close to this mouth. He had one hand hooked behind his head and the other poking through the top of his boxers, scratching occasionally.

Part of me hoped that Uri slept without a shirt, so I was a little disappointed by his gray tee.

I approached the bed and fought the urge to move Uri's hair out of his face. For a moment I did have the preposterous thought that seeing him like this was worth losing eight hours of precious sleep.

"Mistress!"

Ritsu came scampering into the room, whining about the lack of fruit in the kitchen. Naturally, the commotion caused Uri to wake. The djinni's whole body jerked and he nearly fell off the bed. I caught him just in time.

Still holding onto me for support, Uri babbled, "Naomi?"

Drool clung to his chin, but that didn't hinder the blood from rushing up to my face.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm going to die if I don't eat something!" Ritsu shrieked in the background.

I shoved Uri backwards. The force made him backflip over the edge of the bed and roll into the far wall. Whoops.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I hissed at Ritsu as I took him by the torso and began to shake him.

He wailed, "My mistress wants me to die of starvation! If that is what she wants – then so be it!"

"Shut up, you miserable monkey!" I growled. "We're going to the store, okay? I'll buy you some freaking bananas or something. Just shut the hell up!"

Ritsu went limp in my grip. His head lolled to the side and he pouted. "I thought the ugly djinn were supposed to be nicer to their servants."

Before I could respond, a warm hand came down on my shoulder.

"What are you doing in my room?" Uri croaked.

I turned to face him. He frowned before adding, "And why did you push me?"

I dropped Ritsu and folded my arms. "We need to open up a bank account for you and pick up some groceries so this demon doesn't starve."

Uri tried to wipe the sleep from his eyes. I tried to ignore how cute he looked doing so.

"Right. I'll be ready soon . . . but couldn't you think of a gentler way to wake me up?"

Trust me, I was trying, but the monkey had to throw a wrench in things.

"Just get dressed. I'll be waiting in the kitchen."

I turned to leave, but Uri caught my wrist. By now his eyes had acquired focus. His hair, however, was still wild and loose. That combined with his intense gaze made my pulse quicken.

"Next time," he said, "knock first."

I blinked. "Oh? What have you got to hide?"

"Nothing." He said, letting go of my arm. "I just don't want you seeing me underdressed like this."

Uri turned away from me and made his way towards his dresser. I took the opportunity to glance below his waist.

Silly djinni . . .

If only he knew that seeing him like this was the best part of my day.