Chapter 16

A/N at the end...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stood in front of a forest of thick trees with full leaves and coming towards me was at least thirty nitrogen amped and gas filled cars, if even one car came my way the resulting explosion would be enough to wipe out the whole track and anyone too close.

If one person managed to hit the trees everyone else would swerve trying to avoid the pileup; If even one car reached a tree we'd all be toast - literally.

I was still processing all of this when the rider that had first stopped approached me and lifted his helmet over his head.

Long, wavy, dark brown hair cascaded down his back and I realized he was a she.

She had full pink lips and wide, bright, falsely innocent eyes. She smirked; "When you're done checking me out we can get back to this mess here. You know the one that might kill us."

Her voice was light and she spoke in a joking tone but her first comment was enough to snap me out of my trance - what was I doing checking out another girl when I had Rose there for me?

"I have a girlfriend." Wow I don't know why I said that, It's tre but there are more important things going on...

"Yeah, so do I so now that that's out of the way can we get back to stopping a premature global warming?"

I swear to you my jaw could not have dropped any lower, the only thing I was capable of saying at that point was,"Global warming is caused by greenhouse gases and pollution to the ozone layer not fires."

She'd been assesing the other vehicles quickly approaching but now she spun on her heel to face me again; "Look I know what Global warming is I know what causes it but right now none of that is important, my girlfriend's waiting at the finish line adn I know that's close enough to be seriously hurt if we don't stop this thing so will you shut up and help me!"

Her girlfriend...my girlfriend,Rose,Rose! The quick drill sargeant pep talk was exactly what I needed to get focused, people were counting on me, on us."What's your plan?"

"Look they're all going too fast to just stop when they get here and I'd bet that we have under five minutes before they're piling up at that tree next to you so we need to make them stop. I have maybe five huge flashlights in my bag, what do you have?"

I went through my bag quickly and found a new rope and a single glove along with two emergency size flashlights. I pulled out everything except for the glove and tossed my bag back onto my bike.

The girl's eyes squinted at my possessions and I immediately felt self-concious. "What's the problem with my stuff?" She glared up at me momentarily before returning her gaze to the rope. "I thought I told you to shut up - I'm thinking just give me a minute."

Just under two minutes having passed she loked up at me with a gleam in her eye adn spoke. "Tie the rope right above the trunk of the tree next to you then hand it over." I did as she said then realized as she walked as far as she could with the rope that she intended to make the trees seem unpassable and if that didn't work the rope would stall the car's engines enough to stop too much of an impact and hopefully stop a huge pileup.

It was then that I remembered being back in my room when I was in first grade, staying up late to learn a flashlight code my dad had given me to use if ever there was a problem when I was racing - he'd always known I would end up racing one day and I'd been thrilled.

The code only needed three falshlights so I turned one on and set it by the trunk  I'd tied the rope to and tossed another to the other racer and told her to do the same.

After she did as I said I handed her a flashlight and showed her a simple pattern to repeat, she looked at me as if I'd grown two extra heads but when she stared into my eyes she simply nodded and did copied my movements.

I walked closer to the track and started twirling the flashlights in alphabet form, making the letters E-M-E-R-G-E-N-C-Y---D-O-- N-O-T--C-R-O-S-S- over and over again, my arms were starting to get weak and with only about a minute left before the cars were where we were I hope and prayed to God that somebody, anybody else got teh message and stopped the race by pulling the flare that we'd all been given in case of cops or trouble.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll update when i can, there was a leak or two at my house a few days ago and it keeps getting worse, when it stops I'll try to get on an updating schedule, VOTE,COMMENT,FAN,ETC.

-Nicole