3 || A S t o r y t e l l e r ' s T a l e

I fell asleep waiting for dinner.

I waited for a hour or two before laying atop the covers and quietly falling into a soft slumber. I had never been a heavy sleeper and even in the caves, when I needed it the most, I would wake up if even so much as a rock dropped or the wind blew. But for the first time I could remember, I slept like baby.

I had somehow managed to make my way back under the silk and satin sheets I had been under earlier and had cuddled deep within them. My body was covered by layer after layer of the cloth pulled up to my ears as if it was freezing outside. My head made an imprint on the pillow and my hair had tangled itself and dried, leaving a few spots still wet.

I woke up late at night.

The fire had died down, not emitting the same amount of warmth and light it had earlier. The embers still crackled and popped, stirring me awake as I sat up and stretched my sore limbs. Pushing aside the covers, I paused. A sense of drowsiness was set on me, making my limbs feel like weights.

Deciding it was time to stop feeling sorry for myself, I slipped off the bed, stepping onto the floor and standing up completely.

Crack!

I sighed out in relief from popping my back.

I turned my head, looking around the room for the food the man had said would be here. Of course, it wasn't. I was used to hungers presence though, it was a friendly foe and the least of my concerns.

Sighing out again, I walked towards the windows.

There was no point in trying to run, my movements were slurred, probably due to the lack of sleep, food or improper water and would give whoever came after me the upper hand. And judging by the scars and open wounds on my back I would most likely have a infection soon without a proper Doctor to treat the open wounds. I couldn't correctly pinpoint the reasons for my sudden sluggishness which could be a serious of possible illnesses or internal infections. Overall it was unwise to make a break for it.

So I would settle for just gazing at the stars. If I was going to die tomorrow or anytime soon, I probably wouldn't see the stars again. I couldn't remember the last time I had taken time to look at them. Whenever I was working it was all about business, there was no time for pleasure. It would be nice to look at the stars one more time...

Stopping in front of the window, I turned my head to the side as I quickly studied it.

A plain silk sheet backed up with a thicker more expensive cloth sewed tightly together. They would be heavy due to the amount of fabric but not too heavy to move. They fabrics were a yellow and white blend, matching the ugliness of the room perfectly.

I stepped forward, reaching up and yanking open the curtains. I was met with a yellow thick board, painted to match the walls color. The board was thick, maybe a inch in width total. On each board there were two large rectangular imprints in the wood, deep and definitely a accent of some type. Two boards were pushed against the glass window, sealing me inside this yellow room.

Disgusting, whoever had this room before me must of killed themselves from the excessive yellow-ness. I would have and I had barely been trapped in this room for a day. The color left a bad taste in my mouth.

I reached forward, slipping my hands into the cracks of the board.

I knew the history of boards like these. They were native to the South, created specifically to be able to survive during sand storms. They usually had a handle like knob to open them. The handles had been removed, probably so I wouldn't escape through the window. I could see the unpainted screw holes, they stuck out like sore thumbs against the yellow board. The sides of the boards were screwed into the window seal with a painted hinge for easy moving capabilities, they weren't meant to be closed all the time. The design was meant to let in absolutely no sand, but there was always a flaw in the system.