Too Lost To Lose

"Have you lost your mind?" His grandfather hissed.

   He'd dragged Corbin out of the hospital after Crystal had announced that him and Eli were together, disregarding his grandson's protests and Crystal's questions. The old man said no word until they were outside, standing in the building's remote, frozen, empty backyard.

   "Absolutely not! Do you hear me, Corbin? I will not have it. What's gotten into you?"

   Corbin gaped at him. "Excuse me?"

   "You know what I'm talking about." His grandfather said sternly. "What I heard in there better be a joke!"

   "It isn't." Corbin glared. "Why the hell would I joke about something like that?"

   Connor grumbled. "I'm serious, Corbin."

   "So am I!" He yelled in his grandfather's face. "I like Eli and I wanna be with him, is it that hard to believe?"

   "Oh, for crying out loud!" The old man yelled back. "Don't you understand how outrageous this is?!"

   "What's fucking outrageous about it?!"

   "What he is is what's outrageous!"

   Corbin's insides boiled. He eyed his grandfather's livid grey eyes with just as much anger. Gender? That was it? His grandfather didn't like the fact that he was with another boy? He never saw it coming, the elderly never once showed signs that he was against such a thing, but Corbin guessed that he should've expected anything.

   "I'm not leaving him." He stated determinately, narrowing his blue eyes. "You can blurt your opinions all your want, but I'm not leaving him just because you think it's wrong for me to be with another guy."

   His grandfather scoffed. "I could care less what he has between his legs, it's what he is that should instantaneously stop you from being with him."

   Corbin furrowed. "What he is?" He eyed him. "You mean because he's a witch?"

   "There you go." The old man declared. So he did know about Eli. "You know how risky it could be and still you allow yourself to be with him? Can't you use your head for once?"

   Corbin shook his head. "You're wrong. Eli isn't dangerous."

   Connor eyed his grandson. "Who ever said the boy was dangerous?"

   He groaned. "You just did!"

   "I wasn't talking about him, I was talking about you."

   Corbin's eyes widened in slight confusion, arching his brows a little. "Me?"

   His grandfather snorted. "Who else? Weren't you paying attention to what your father was telling you that night?"

   "Dad said nothing about me being dangerous." Corbin said. "He only told me what you two did to the demon and that we were being chased by demon hunters or some shit, I didn't get half of it because the demon showed up and he told me to run."

   His grandfather observed him for a while, an odd look overtaking his features. "You mean," his brows came together, "you don't know?"

   "Know what?" Corbin questioned, getting flustered. What the hell was going on over here?

   "What are you?" Connor inquired suddenly. Corbin pondered over the question. "What am I?"

   The man nodded. "Yes, what are you?"

   "A boy." He answered simply, not seeing what the elderly was getting at.

   His grandfather heaved a sigh at last and made his way towards an old bench near the hospital walls, sat down and beckoned Corbin to do the same. The old man's wary eyes circled the place, eying the snow and feeling the cold wind as it blew at their clothes. Corbin waited, his grandfather looked quite solemn, he didn't think he'd ever seen him so serious before.