Chapter Two - Wild Life

Relaxing was easier said than done because when I got home I could only think of Vax.

I neglected the shower I'd promised myself and walked down the hallway to my room. I opened the closet and pulled down an old shoe box with stuff I'd kept from college.

I tipped the contents on to my bed and rifled through it all. Movie stubs, Polaroid's, little memento's I'd thought were precious and priceless.

Then I saw it. The thing I was looking for.

A folded up poster. It had been on my wall for my last two years of college, just when the band's fame was really just taking off. I carefully unfolded it and lay it on my bed.

Vax held his guitar, his hair was covering most of his face. But I could see one of his hypnotizing hazel eyes, and that same smirk he'd given me at dinner. But, it wasn't Vax, I couldn't see Vax anymore, I could only see Xavier. Irresistible hot Xavier....

Maybe my virginity was causing me to act like a thirsty person in a desert. I was seeing shit that just wasn't real.

I looked down at the ground, away from the poster. My cat Asteroid circled my feet, weaving in and out. Begging for food. I bent down and picked him up.

"At least I can trust my feelings for you Aster" I whispered nuzzling him.

He purred in response and pushed his head against my cheek.

I placed Asteroid back down then walked down the hallway in to the kitchen and set out dinner for the cats. I stood there watching as they ate, both amused and distressed at my burgeoning cat lady status.

I walked back through to the lounge and flicked on the music channel. Like fate a 'Going Nowhere' song was playing. It was one of my favorites too.

I lay back on the couch and tried to forget for a moment who was singing it, because the words had always connected with me. I'd always felt like it was my song.

She's afraid of her own skin

Sweet lips, but won't try to use them

So beautiful it's almost a sin

She looks at me, with her crystal blue gems.

And she says,

Tell me, I'm worth it

Tell me, I'm not alone

Cos I've been holding on, for too long

My mind is aching, my heart it breaking

And I, don't know if I can go on.

I opened my eyes and stopped singing. How could Xavier of all people, have written something so poetic. I knew Vax was the sole writer I'd seen the writing credits, and if Vax was Xavier, then he'd written it. Mr. 'I'm so moody and I don't have romantic feelings' had written the one song that touched me so deep on a personal level.

Angrily I snatched the remote up from beside me and changed the channel. Screw music. Screw it all, it was full of drama anyway. I didn't need it.

Then, like the true spinster I was, I fell asleep, watching crap on television.

I woke up the next morning, still fully dressed, with all four cats resting their heads on me in one way or another.

Watch it, you're living a wild life Scarlett Jackson.