three 〣 say it again

•••

The Driveway of the Davenport Estate

Saturday

4:00 p.m.

Since the whole Spike endeavor, I've tread more lightly around Chase. I'm probably more alert than I should be. But at the same time, I feel safe around him. He gives me this feeling of peace that I can't really experience anywhere else.

My feelings are a paradox.

I sighed, shaking my head and standing in front of the door. I was here to spend time with Bree. I was trying to get to know her a little more, because y'know, why not?

She was the one who invited me over when we exchanged texts yesterday. So, here I was.

I knocked on the door a couple times, patiently waiting for a response.

The person who opened the door was Chase. Why is it that whenever I come over for someone, the opposite person opens the door? Whatever.

I tensed. Would he be angry with me? Would he kick me out out? Would he...

Would he want to talk about last night?

I tried to keep my breathing normal as he silently stepped aside. I walked into the house, sitting on the couch. The silence that become so familiar to me was extremely tense between the two of us.

Was he going to start a conversation?

"So..." Chase trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck.

I stayed silent, staring at the floor, trying to distract myself. Holy crap, this house even had the nicest floors I've ever seen. That wasn't fair.

Chase cleared his threat and I glanced up at him. We stared at each other, much like last night, but it wasn't contentment that hung in the air this time.

That's when Bree walked into the living the room, and my whole body relaxed. Thank you, Bree. Thank you, Bree. Thank you, Bree.

Chase's eyes flickered between us, before he just walked away from the situation. Bree gave him a look as he left, but he didn't seem to notice. Once he left, Bree plopped down onto the couch next to me.

"Hey Bree." I said, attempting to make some sort of conversation. She grinned at me.

"Hey Y/N." I didn't like the way she said my name. I had known Bree long enough to know when she sounded like that, it couldn't be good.

"So, who do you like?" She asked, smirking. Well, that was... eloquent. I frowned. I couldn't just say Chase, right? No.

Did I even like Chase? How could I answer her question when I didn't even know the answer myself?

Chase. Yes, okay, yes. I did have a crush on him, at least I knew that. Did I want to date him though?

Yes. I wanted more of that peace. I wanted to grow closer to him. But I couldn't do that when he was upset with me. I couldn't do that when he was probably still mad I hadn't kissed him last night.

"Chase." I replied quietly. She probably already knew anyway. It wasn't going to be anything big, right? I would just ask her who she's liked, and then we could move on, and...

"Like, my brother Chase?" I nodded.

"Um, yes? What other Chases are there?"

Bree laughed, "That is honestly the cutest thing. You two were practically made for each other!"

I frowned slightly. Made for each other? That might be a little much, but...

Bree looked so happy, so whatever. I tried to match her smile, and that seemed enough for her.