36

Five years later...

Gracie
"Deanne come back to mommy." I say to the little girl who's trying to climb on Alastair's back as he mows the lawn.
"Mommy no, I want to monkey climb daddy's back."
"Okay baby." He gracefully picks her up and hosts her over his shoulder while she giggles. Her curly brownish hair mixes with his and you can't tell the two heads apart.
Our daughter. She looks so much like him. Our prediction came true, a little daughter with eyes as deep as his. And Deanne is completely like her father. Same curly hair, set of deep black eyes, and the ringing sweet voice. He tickles her until she's gasping for breathe. He then leaves her down again and continues mowing the lawn while she runs around his legs and gets entangled in them.
It's been five years since we got married. Deanne is three years old right now. I remember the pure happiness on Alastair's face when they placed her in his arms. And now as I look at him, I realize that he is a better father than his own dad ever was. He makes sure his family gets everything that he was deprived of in his childhood. Deanne is completely a daddy's girl. However when Alastair looks at me and winks, that dialogue of our teen years passes between us. She's my girl. Oh yes. I sit on the lawn and think about life as the two of them play around. Melissa and Roland got married later that year and had five kids, don't believe it. Ivy and Chris got married two years later and are just fooling around, though I think Ivy is planning a baby. Clara and Stuart did turn out to be a serious about each other and married last year. They're still in their honeymoon phase. Paige shifted to Paris and Alastair had no problems with Mr. Roberts after that. I'm still the editor in chief along with being the part time owner of TCT. Alastair started handling the Californian branch and soon became a part of that itself. Vanessa is currently dating some guy, but I don't think it will last, it never seem to does. She's doing fabulously in her fashion designing career though. I look at Alastair. He's growing to be even more handsome as he's growing old. And when he looks at me with that cocky stance and charming smile, my heart still skips a beat.

Alastair
I look at the little bundle of joy huddled up near my legs. I gave her the name Deanne, she is just like a princess. I look at Gracie. She's still beautiful, even more if it's possible. She's such a good mom, it feels surreal to see a mother so caring, considering that I never got one. But Grace leaves no stone unturned to assure that her kids get the best. Yes, kids!
Our little son toddles over to her from inside the house and she takes him in her arms. He's just two, but he's so much like Gracie, I cuddle the shit out of him. She flicks his nose and he laughs. He's just like Grace, as we predicted. He has the same silky chocolate hair and the wide brown eyes. And his smile, damn, it's entirely like Gracie's. If Deanne is my carbon copy, then little Leo is Gracie's xerox. He fumbles a bit and she handles him. I complete my mowing work and sit down to admire the breathtaking Californian autumn season.
A complete family. Let me tell you, no success, no wealth and no amount of fame can make you feel as good as a family can. And I'm lucky to get that in my life.
I hold all of them together as I look out. It all boils down to Grace. The woman who gave me a family. Make me feel worthy enough to be a daddy. Loved me and held all my strings together, close to her heart.
"Grace."
"Yes?"
"I love you."
"I love you more."
"Forever."
"Always."