Chapter 23 - Confusion

A Witches Imprint - Confusion

Ashton's POV

                I don’t know if I really believed what Clyde was telling me but I wanted to. I mean what male werewolf didn’t want to find there mate. Or any werewolf in that case. The problem is, if I did have a mate that means I lost her. That she was taken from me and I wasn’t able to protect her like a mate should have.

                “Stop wallowing in self-pity and do something!” Clyde yelled at me. I didn’t even realize that the car was stopped and we were outside a house, not far from the pack house.

                “No one lives here, it’s been on the market for a long time now,” I was still in denial over this whole thing.

                “Someone bought it a few months back. She lived here by herself, her parents had been killed and she was running away and ended up here. It was just lucky for you because she turned out to be your mate. She changes your life and the life of your pack. You have to be able to remember the feelings, something, any residual effects from whatever she did to you.”

                “You keep saying that she did something to me. Like what? What could she possibly do to make me forget her. What kind of being possesses that power,” I asked finally getting out of the car and cautiously walking up to the house. I had a feeling that this house was familiar, that I had been here before with someone, but I couldn’t remember a time when I paid more than a passing glance of attention towards this house.

                “Like I said at the shop, your mate isn’t a werewolf. She is a very special and very powerful witch. One that figured the only way to save your pathetic life was to make you forget her that way you wouldn’t want to come after her. Damn that girl is too concerned about everyone but herself!”

                During his rant we had made it to the house, and through the front door. Apparently this man had a key to my mate’s house, which made my wolf angry. Who was this man to my mate and why would he have a key when it didn’t look like I did.

                “I told you that there was no one living here. Right now we are just trespassing on a property that is up for sale. We should get out of here before someone sees us and asks questions,” I was trying to get out of this house, it was making me uncomfortable and my head was hurting even more than it was when I woke up this morning.

                “Damn what kind of magic was this? Not only did it erase her from your mind but all traces of her as well. Listen she did live here, I know that this is hard to believe and probably hard to take in but you have to believe me! I am not making this up!” He shouted again. He took a deep breath looking like he was trying to control his anger, “Please, just walk around and see if there is anything that jogs your memory. What do you have to lose?”

                “Before I look around I want you to answer some questions that are really starting to eat away at my consciousness. How in the world do you know so much about my mate, she is supposed to be MY mate,”

                “It’s a long story, one that you already know so I will give you a short version of it just please, please promise not to kill me because I am your only hope for finding your mate. Even if you don’t remember having one,”

                “Fine, I promise not to kill you now answer my questions,”

                “Fine, I sort of knew your mates mom. She cast a spell on this ring that allowed me to walk in the daylight. Part of the spell meant that I had to help someone fulfill their destiny and I would know who it was, the ring would help me and them know that we could trust each other. And it worked, it was your mate that I am supposed to help. And that is what I am trying to do. Now I am not going to answer any more questions because once you get your memory you will know the answer to all of the questions that are no doubt swimming around in your mind. Now please just go walk around the house and see if there is anything that jogs your memory,”

                He was right about the fact that I had so many questions that I didn’t even know where to start. The first being why he needed help walking in the sun? But I did as he said and began walking around the house. Something was pulling me up the stairs and to the last door on the left.

                This was a bedroom; I am guessing it was her room. I could smell the Earth again, it was the same smell that was at the office. So who ever was in this room was also in my office. And it was once again giving me a sense of home and belonging.

                “There is definitely something familiar about this house I will give you that. But I still don’t remember anything. And now my head is really hurting so I am going to go and get some sleep and maybe be able to process all of this information better in the morning. Thank you for your help Clyde, but I think that I am going to have to figure this out on my own,”

                Without a second glance I walked out of that house and down the street towards my house. I don’t know what it is that I am supposed to remember but I know that it is important. I just hope that after some sleep I will be able to decipher some more of the puzzle that has become my life.