chapter twelve

***

Dan hugs onto Connor tightly, silently begging him to stay.

"Sorry Dan, I have to go, but we'll keep in touch and I want to come back soon," Connor assures Dan, "I know you and Phil still aren't talking, but the others wanted you to know that they're still there for you."

Dan smiles half heartedly. Although that's nice to hear, Dan can't help but still feel like he was the closest to Phil, and the stab of betrayal still rests inside of Dan. Dan sighs, looking down at his shoes and Connor grabs the handle on his suitcase.

"Tell me if anything goes wrong okay? I'm your friend and I'm here for you," he says, hugging Dan one more time, "adios nerd."

Dan chuckles silently and forces a smile, even though his heart doesn't want Connor to leave. Connor waves one more time before he turns and walks through the gate to customs, where Dan isn't permitted to go. He sighs and turns away, walking towards the exit.

"Hey mate, you might want to watch out!" A guy says, pulling him to the side as a man with luggage heaped on a trolley and a large family following behind whirls past, "wouldn't want you getting run over."

Dan smiles and nods his thanks to the guy, who looks around the same age as him with dark, slightly curly hair and a wide grin.

"Well, I gotta catch a flight but I think we should catch up again," he says, pulling out a pen and writing his number on a piece of paper, handing it to Dan, "you might need it if you have any other troubles with trolleys."

Dan smiles at the guy, hoping that surpasses for a 'thanks'.

"I'm Pj by the way," the guy says, smiling at Dan like he should know who he is, "nice to meet you."

Dan smiles and nods, before Pj gives him a strange expression and says he has to get on his flight so he turns and runs towards the baggage check in and Dan turns and walks away, unfolding the paper in his hand.

'Call in case of emergency run-ins with trolleys.' and after that, a number scrawled somewhat messily.

Dan smiles to himself as he gets back in the at and his mother drives him back home, where she immediately has to leave for work. Dan walks to his room, feeling glum and lies on his bed, pulling out his phone and scrolling through some texts.

Louise: I'll miss you Connor!

Caspar: have a flight as safe as condoms!

Joe: Caspar you're such an idiot.

Joe: I'll miss you too bro btw

Phil: don't go Connor! :(

Connor: thanks guys! (especially Caspar) I'll miss you all too!

Caspar: I got a special mention!

Joe: why are we friends? :/

Caspar: ... Because I'm awesome.

Alfie: you'll have to come back and visit!

Zoe: yeah good idea!

Connor: I will guys :)

Dan sighs and locks his phone again, putting it on the bedspread beside him. He wishes his life was back to how it was two months ago, when Connor just arrived and Phil didn't think Dan was some psychotic demon child who enjoyed punching his brother.

Quinn is out with his friends from his old school, which is definitely a good thing. Dan's father, however, is home. But hopefully he will stay in his room, asleep with a hangover from his late night last night. Dan seems to be the only person in the house to hear his father stumble inside at all hours of the night.