✨ c h a p t e r t w e l v e ✨

Red.

All I could see was the color red. It was dripping, almost like blood. No wait – it was blood.

Sirens.

I could hear the sirens from afar. I squinted my eyes, flashes of red and blue appearing in front of me.

Shouting, screaming.

I could hear it all but it was hard to understand what people were saying.

My eyes opened just slightly. Everything was blurry. I could slowly make out something – no, two bodies. My eyes adjusted to the two figures in front of me, lying deathly still on the cold ground beneath me. A strangled sob threatened to escape my lips but it didn't. I couldn't make a noise. Nothing would escape my lips.

I woke up with a jolt, tears streaming down my face endlessly. I scrambled out of my bed, hyperventilating. I stood in the middle of my room, shaking. My thoughts were muddled; I couldn't focus.

It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.

My fingers were shaking. My head was swimming. My lips were dry.

Come back, please.

I bit down my lower lip, covering my face with both my hands.

So alone...so weak...so tired.

I closed my eyes and took a couple of deep breathes. I sighed heavily, crawling back into my bed. I grabbed my phone and headphones. I slipped them in my ears and turned on the music.

"You'll be okay babygirl, I love you," she whispered.

"Mom, please," I whimpered, trying with all my might to reach forward and grab her hand. "Please." The blood was rushing to my head as we hung upside down inside the car. The glass was shattered and dug into different parts of my skin. My dad was passed out – or so I assumed.

"Baby," she croaked, letting out a hiss as she hoisted her arm. Her weak fingers laced around mine. "Take the ring." My fingers shook as I carefully slipped her wedding ring off her finger.

"Mom, please, stay with me."

"I'm trying honey," she whispered. "It's gonna be okay." We both knew that was a lie. "We love you baby." She was getting weaker, her grip on my hand loosened. I struggled to hold her closer.

"Mom please," I begged, sobs erupting from my lips.

"Hush baby," she whispered, "it'll be okay."

It'll be okay she said.

But it wasn't okay.

It was far from it.

Nothing was okay and it never will be.

I laid in bed for too long. By the time I got up, it was nearing the afternoon. My phone kept vibrating but I refused to look at it. I didn't want to talk to anyone – not even Roman. Well, at least that's what I'm trying to tell myself. After the incident on his house, we spent even more time together – whether it was for better or worse was questionable.

After changing into leggings, a black camisole, and my dad's old red flannel, I made my way back downstairs. My hair was tied up into a messy bun with pieces sticking out. No one was home which was honestly a good thing. I needed some time to myself.

The doorbell rung not a second later, making me close the fridge. I went over and opened it.

"Why haven't you been picking up?" Roman demanded, stepping in and grabbing my arm. I was startled at his sudden outburst. His eyes were dark, filled with relief and anger.

"I just need some space, Roman," I murmured. His eyes softened as his grip on my arm loosened.

"What happened?" he asked, cupping my cheek with one hand. His thumb stroked my lower eyelid. "You look exhausted."

"I am."

He frowned, closing the door behind him. "What happened?" he repeated. I sighed softly, shaking my head. He wrapped his arms around my waist and held me. Being in his arms was exactly what I needed (and didn't need). His warmth radiated off his body onto mine. There was a bit of woodsy scent coming from his body. It was calming and soothing. "Stop shutting me out Abby." I shut my eyes tighter, take a big breath before pulling away.

"I had a nightmare last night," I whispered, wrapping my arms around myself securely. "Of...the accident." His eyes shone with recognition as he realized what I was talking about. "It was just so...surreal. Everything was so similar to that night. This time...it wasn't just flashes – it was the whole thing. I could just see it so clearly...I just..." I trailed off and let my words hang around. I was surprised I wasn't crying. Talking about the nightmares brought back too many painful memories. I was wrapped around in his arms almost immediately. We didn't say anything for a while – just stood there wrapped in each other's arms.

"Come," he whispered, letting go of me to hold my hand. He led me upstairs to my room. I raised my eyebrow at him but he simply ignored me. He crawled into my bed and patted the spot next to him. I fought the smile that threatened to appear and slipped in next to him. "Sleep. I'll be here." He caressed my cheek, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"Thank you," I whispered, wrapping my arms around his waist. He held me to his chest, tangling our legs underneath the sheets.

"Anything for you babygirl." 

A/N: I have almost 23 chapters done in this story and it's honestly so hard for me to not post them all at once.

leave me feedback please, I always reply!

stay strong babies x