One Step Closer

Eunkyung sat across the couch and propped her head up with her arms on the armrest. She looked dully at the small vase of flowers on the coffee table. They were just some wild flowers, ones that she had seen many times along the trails that ran through her woods, but they held so much more meaning than any of the ones that still grew. The water was't enough to keep the flowers healthy and they had slowly begun to wilt. Eunkyung reached out and gently touched one of the withered petals.

She sighed and curled into herself.

Her cabin seemed so big without the wolf there.

Eunkyung glanced over at the corner where the blankets the wolf would sleep use to be. The corner was empty now and dust was starting to gather and form dust bunnies.

On the other side of her couch was her backpack, still laying untouched where she had thrown it on Friday when the wolf had said good bye and returned to the woods.

She stared at for a moment before sighing and pulling it toward her and pulling out her book.

Her grades were good and she always turned her homework in early but Eunkyung had just waved that off as enjoying her studies.

It was only now, with the wolf gone, that she remembered why her grades had gotten so much better when her mother had passed away.

There was nothing to do when you lived alone.

The novelty of you freedom wore off quickly. There was no one to tease or watch movies with or eat with or fight over that bathroom with. The space was entirely yours and it became a part of you until it didn't even feel like it was a separate space.

Because after all, an empty house is an empty soul.

***

Monday morning was as dull as every other morning for Eunkyung, It was just another day to get up and get ready and run through the motions of living.

She was up before her alarm, as always, and had eggs with rice for breakfast, like she had been doing for years. Then she changed into jeans and a black shirt, which she had worn since she was 13, and left for school down the same road she had been walking down her whole life.

On autopilot, Eunkyung stopped at her mailbox and opened it to get any junk that had been sent to her this time.

She sighed when she saw all the large junk mail packet that was shoved in the back of her mail box. Bending down, she pulled it out, ripped her address off of it, and dumped it in her garbage can.

"Eunkyung!" She stiffened at the familiar voice and stood back up.

Yugyeom was running down the path on his property toward the mail box and waved at her. She smiled at him and waved back.

"I haven't seen you in a while." Every time she had gotten her mail lately, he wasn't there. It was like they had an arrangement to always meet up, but it was still weird when he wasn't there. "Where have you been?"