six

"Dean?" I said into the phone speaker.

"Hey, what's up?" 

"I have to tell you something," I replied. 

"Okay..."

"You know those two guys I told you about? The ones in the band?" 

"Yeah." 

"Well, I've decided to go on tour with them for the summer... we're leaving Friday," I said quietly. 

Dean was quiet for a minute. 

"What about the beach? Our summer together?" he asked, disappointed. 

"I'm sorry... it's just a really great opportunity I don't want to pass up... Please understand," I begged. 

"Understand? You think I'm gonna be okay with you traveling across the country for the entire summer with two guys... one of them being your ex?" 

"We're just friends... you're just gonna have to trust me."

"I don't know Jess." 

"Please... and before you know it, we'll be back at school, picking up right from where we left off. I love you Dean," I persuaded. 

"Okay," he said reluctantly, "but you have to promise to call me... everyday." 

"I promise." 

"So I guess I won't be seeing you tomorrow then," he said. 

"Yeah sorry about that... I was really looking forward to seeing you." 

"Well we'll just have to wait until August," he said, longingly. 

"Yes, August... only two months away," I confirmed. 

"You're lucky I love you," he said. 

"The luckiest girl in the world."   

****

"You coming?" Tyler shouted. 

"Just grabbing my last bag!" I yelled, rushing down the stairs. 

My hairbrush tumbled out of my bag and rolled down the stairs. Tyler picked it up and handed it to me  with a smile. 

"Thanks," I said. 

I gave my mom a light goodbye hug. 

"Be safe," she warned, as we headed towards the tour bus. 

****

"So where are we going first?" I asked after we had settled in and were on the road. 

"New York City," Josh replied. "Our first show is tomorrow night." 

Tyler nodded. 

"So what do you guys do on this bus to entertain yourselves?" I said, already bored. 

"We watch TV, eat, play cards, practice," Josh explained. 

"Wanna see what's on Netflix?" Tyler asked, grabbing the remote. 

"Sure," Josh replied. 

Tyler sat down beside me on the sofa. 

"Parks and Rec?" Tyler asked, motioning to the TV. 

"Fine by me," Josh said. 

Tyler looked at me, "Jess?" 

"Yeah, Parks and Rec is good," I replied. 

After three episodes, we were starting to get hungry. I went to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I found some lettuce and vegetables and put together a tossed salad. 

"Mmm," Josh said, "Why don't you stay with us more often?" 

I laughed, "It's just a salad." 

"A good one," Tyler added. 

After we finished, Josh left the kitchen and went to take a shower. 

I started to clean up the dishes. 

"Hey, I got it," Tyler said, hip-bumping me away from the sink. It made me splash soapy water everywhere. 

"Tyler!" I shouted, splashing the foamy bubbles on him. 

"You didn't!" he yelled, and before I knew it we were having a full-on soap fight. 

Laughing, Tyler wrapped his arms around me from behind, tickling my sides. 

"Stop it," I laughed, squirming in his arms. 

He spun me around to face him, his face inches from mine. Neither of us could stop laughing. 

With a soapy hand he pushed my hair out of my face, stroking the side of my head. His deep brown eyes stared into mine. 

"Tyler," I said, more serious. "We can't. I know what you're trying to do." 

"What? Friends can't have a little fun?" he asked. 

I pulled away from him and continued washing the dishes. He kind of just stood there watching. 

"Don't make me regret coming," I said. 

"I won't, sorry," he apologized, walking back to the sofa.