Chapter 6

Picture of Kylee^^^ played by Victoria Justice

"Uh, thanks for dinner," Blake said as we walked towards the front door. After we had cleaned up for dinner, we made some sketches of what the cake would look like. Since the project wasn't due for three weeks, we decided that we would make it the last week and do more research up until then.

"No problem." I replied, opening the door and walking out with him

"I'll.. see you Monday." he said, walking away.

"See ya." I said, watching him for a second and then walking back in, shutting the door behind me.

I was met with Johnny, standing in the hall and looking at me, grinning.

"What?" I asked.

"You like him!" He said in a teasing voice.

"I do not!" I defended, shock written on my face.

Yeah, Blake was acting more nice than usual but he was still Blake.  He had been bullying me since Freshman year and made my life hell. He was probably only being nice tonight so I won't flake out on being his project partner.

"Maddie and Blake sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S--" he started singing.

"Johnny Xavier Greggor do not finish that sentence." I warned.

Johnny ignored me and sang louder.

"I-S-S-I-N-G!!!!!" he screamed starting to run around the house.

"Oh now you've asked for it," I said with a grin, starting to chase him.

"I'm gonna get you!" I yelled playfully.

When he looked behind him and noticed I was there, he yelped and ran faster.

After about 15 minutes of this he finally ran upstairs into the MR and tried to lock me out.

He was too late and I barged into the room, lightly tackling him onto one of the bean bags.

I had him pinned down.

"Take it back." I teased.

"No!" he said, giggling.

"Then you leave me no choice," I said with a fake serious voice.

I tickled him until he begged me to stop.

"You win! You win!" he yelled, still laughing.

I fell onto the bean bag next to him and sighed, giggling as well. We laid there for a couple minutes, silence echoing through the house.

"Maddie?" Johnny asked, looking up at the ceiling.

"Yeah?" I said, turning on my side to look at my little brother.

A tear slid down his face.

"Why doesn't Dad ever come home? Does he hate us?" He said, wiping away the tear with the sleeve of his shirt.

I quickly sat up and gathered Johnny in my arms.

I didn't say anything at first. How was I supposed to answer that? Yes, my Dad practically traveled to the other side of the country to get away from us. But Johnny was still young. He didn't fully understand what was going on. He did know that mom died, but he wanted to know why Dad didn't want to be with us. I wanted Johnny to have the world, but explaining something like this would ruin his childhood. I couldn't let him grow up like me.

"He doesn't hate us," I said softly, hating to lie to him.

"He's still sad about Mom. Sometimes people have a different way of being sad. Dad likes to be by himself. One day he'll stop being sad." I explained.

"Then we'll be one big happy family!" Johnny said happily.

"Yeah."

<><><>

Mrs. Knight's POV:

" How was Maddie's?" I asked Kylee as she walked through the door, Luke on her heels.

"Good. We watched movies and played games." She said, dropping her overnight bag on the floor.

"Young lady, I believe that goes up in your room," I said, looking at her disapprovingly.

She rolled her eyes and picked up the bag, walking down the hallway and towards the stairs.

"How are they?" I asked my daughter's retreating form.

"Good. But Mr. Greggor's still out of town." she said, not looking back.

I was glad because I tightened my fists and cursed lightly under my breath.

"That man is the foulest piece of sh-" I started.

"Mom!" Kylee stopped and turned, yelling at me- appalled.

"He leaves his children for weeks on end to fend for themselves! Children are not goldfish! You cannot just throw food at them and leave! This man is so irresponsible! I cannot imagine how alone they must feel! Maddie and Johnny deserve better than this!" I seethed angrily.

This was not a new rant. It was like an endless cycle. Almost every time I asked Kylee this it was the same answer! Did this man even come home anymore?!

Maddie was what, a senior now? What would happen to Johnny when she and Kylee graduate?

I will NOT let that poor boy be treated this way. Maddie, too.

"I know! But there's nothing we can do!" Kylee said, shoulders drooping.

A spark of an idea flashed through my head.

"Yes," I said slowly.

"There is"

Kylee looked at me confused, about to say something.

"Why don't you go and get dressed for the party? I have a phone call I need to make." I said, already walking towards the office I share with my husband.

When I walked through the doors, he was already at the computer, typing a paper.

"Hello dear." He greeted me, blowing a kiss in my direction.

I "caught" it in the air, and put it in my pocket. It was a little tradition we started when we were newly weds.

"What's wrong?" He asked, looking up and seeing my troubled expression.

"Dave left the kids again and I've about reached my last straw!" I said, frustrated.

His face got serious and he nodded in agreement.

"So I'm going to do something about it." I said walking over to the phone by his chair.

I pulled a business card out of one of the drawers and dialed the number on it. I had found this card many years ago, too nervous to use it. But this was getting ridiculous.

"What are you doing?" my husband asked, looking at me questioningly.

"Something I should have done years ago."

Hi everyone! I hope you all are enjoying the book! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I had some writers block:)

Question: Who do you think Mrs. Knight calls?

Answer: Keep reading to find out!