14 French

The lovely cover is by @MythicalReaderxx.

Iris~~

As Jonas and I walk along the lake back to the Estate, I steal glimpses at him, trying to study the man that so few people outside of the Society will ever have the chance to get to know. When he catches me looking, I turn my head to the lake side. Across it is stone pavilion. I've seen it before of course but have never been over there.

"Does the Society use that often?"

There's a pause, maybe as he tries to figure out what I'm referring to. "Not as a whole usually since it's too snug, but it's nice if a few people want some time away from everyone. I imagine it will get some use on Kerrie-uh."

"It's lovely." Almost romantic in a way. I imagine that when the sun is setting and hits the water, you'd feel as if you were in a fairytale.

"The day after Kerrie-uh, the prince and princess of France will be visiting."

"Those are quite the house guests."

He stops suddenly and faces me, his hands clasped behind his back. "I'm going to say this now before I talk myself out of it, but if you wish, I'll arrange for you to return to France with them."

I blink. "What?"

"The Society would never let me get away with unleashing you to roam Elleany, but if they believe our allies in France are watching you, that's a different story. Your Mark means something different there, and I'll explain to them that your Mark is wrong. I believe France would more readily accept that than our citizens." Our citizens, as if I'm part of the Society.

"I don't know French."

"I'll get you textbooks, a tutor. Whatever you need."

One part of me is touched that he would do that, even against the Society's wishes. But a small part of me is oddly hurt that he seems eager to prepare me to leave the Estate.

He's the Preeminence though, and I was raised a rebel. It's not as if there could really be a future here, but still I . . . well I . . . I don't want to say goodbye to someone who understands me. I've spent plenty of time on my own, but that was here in Elleany. How am I supposed to move to France where I don't speak the language and build a life there? Everyone I know is here, but if I'm honest with myself the only person I'm on good terms with is Jonas.

And possibly Riley. He seems to go along with whatever Jonas wants.

Jonas places his finger under my chin and turns my head toward him. His eyes search my face. "What is it?"

I force a smile. "It's nothing. It couldn't hurt to learn a little French. Just in case."

So I finally watched Jupiter Ascending for the first time last night. I kept thinking, Oh my goodness, it's Colton and Jonas. The two brothers who were in charge reminded me of them.