Ronks Oneshot for Harrypotteriffic admin contest.

“I’ve told you before, I won’t let you throw your life away to be with an old, ugly werewolf.  It’s just not right, Nympha-“

“DON’T call me Nymphadora.” interrupted Tonks.

Remus tried to hide a smile.  He loved how fierce Tonks could be, but of course he couldn’t show that.  He didn’t want to egg her on any further.

“Sorry,” he continued, “must be habit by now.  Anyway, why on Earth would you want to tie yourself down to me?  I’m too old, too poor, and too dangerous.”

Tonks let out a frustrated sigh.

“Am I not capable of deciding that for myself?” she insisted.

“Dora, it’s not about capability.  Every month, you would risk your life by staying with me.  When my… condition… takes over, I can’t remember anything.  I might attack you without even realising who you are.”

“I’ll take that risk!” she said, trying not to cry.  Why could Remus not see how much she loved him?

“I won’t let you!” he shouted, his sudden burst of anger startling them both.  He sighed, and spoke much more quietly.  “If anything ever happened to you, because of the wolf… because of me… I would never be able to live with myself.”

Tonks looked down, a light blush tinting her cheeks.  Remus tenderly tucked a strand of bright pink her behind her ear, and brought her chin up to look her in the eyes.

“That’s why.” he said, “That’s why we can’t… I can’t…”

Before either of them really knew it, Tonks had leaned up onto tiptoe and kissed Remus.  Not full on the mouth, but a tender, caring kiss on his scarred cheek.  She pulled away slowly, having taken herself somewhat by surprise.  She gave a brief, embarrassed smile to the battered man stood before her, who took a deep breath in and nodded.

“Do you see now?  Do you finally see?” Tonks asked hopefully.

Remus flashed a rare grin, not his normal sad smile, and drew Tonks in to a warm embrace.

“Crystal clear, Nymphadora Tonks.  I see crystal clear.”

And for once, Nymphadora Tonks didn’t mind.