Chapter Six

Choking! I'm choking on something. Whatever it is, it's being shoved down my throat and I gag. My reflexes don't hold back as my stomach releases its contents. I hear the splash of water and a toilet flush. My whole body is weak, exhausted, drained. Someone or something is holding me up, holding back my hair as I continue to heave. When I have nothing left I slump into whoever it is with me. I feel myself being lifted into the air and it feels like I'm floating. There is a soft, gentle landing. It is comforting, warm. I'm wrapped in it. There is a soft, soothing voice in my ear but I don't understand the words.

My mind is already floating away.

******************************************

Holy shit does my head hurt! My throat hurts. My stomach hurts. I must be sick. Groaning I try to sit up but my whole body is yelling at me, stop bitch stop.

"Easy, you need to lie down," is what the unfamiliar male voice says, making my body stiffen and eyes fly open. I look around me but no one is there. "How are you feeling?"

I slowly lift my head to follow the sound of the smooth baritone and find at the end of my bed the man of my fantasies. Smooth, tanned skin with just a hint of stubble, and unruly dark hair that falls across his stunning hazel eyes. He looks like an Egyptian god come to save me, but I know this can't be it. I must be hallucinating.

Fantasy-man rises from the chair and comes to me. His muscular frame is stretching against the fabric of his shirt. My breath catches in my throat. He leans down close, so close. I want to touch the strands of hair that hang down around him like a dark halo. He stares at me intently with those beautiful eyes of his and I can see the thousand different shades of green, blue and gold that intertwines within his irises. "Are you real?" I barely whisper.

A smile spreads across the hallucination's face. "As real as you," he whispers back. There is no way that this is real. I am not the girl that gets the prize of the Universe. My lot in life is the cruel end of a dark joke. I think for a moment as we stare at each other. Usually in my dreams this would be when my fantasy-man and I would engage in a steamy make-out session that evolves into more. Instead he seems to be inspecting me, watching my breath. I have the eerie feeling that something is not right here, so I reach up slowly with one finger and touch the hallucination's cheek.

"Holy shit!" I scream. He jumps back like I scorched him. "Oh my god! You're real!"

"I thought we established that already," he leans back and eyes me warily.

"Who are you? What are you doing in my room?!" I drag myself to the other side of the bed. "Shit. Shit. Shit." Where is my phone?

"Calm down. You need to rest."

"Are you my F'ing nurse? Who are you? Answer me damn it!" Where the hell is my phone?!

He throws his hands up in surrender, "I'm here for your protection."

"My what?"

"I am to protect you under orders from his Majesty, King Krastev."

I bolt upright and immediately regret it, "Ow," my head is throbbing.

"Easy," he says and takes a step towards me.

"Stay where you are," I warn. "Stay!"

He stops mid-step.

I need a moment to think. If he is real, and he is here under a vampire king's orders, then that means that all of the crap that I dreamt of the past few days actually happened. I really did watch a man explode, was kidnapped and found out vampires exist, and was chased by a shadow monster. Shit! Every emotion I've been feeling, was hoping wasn't real, is creeping on me, overwhelming me. Fear, pain, rage, and despair wrap around me like a snake. I feel it coiling up inside of me and work its way into my veins. My breath comes in ragged gasps. I feel it rising within me. A panic attack.

Warm arms wrap around me. My body trembles, vibrating in his hold. Slowly the Egyptian god, man, or vampire, pulls my head onto his shoulder and I cry.

***************************************

So this chapter took a different turn than I originally expected.  

I'd like to know what you think of the mystery man.  Is he real?  Or a hallucination?

Please comment, vote, etc.

Thanx ;-)

Kalina Rose