The Date

I was sitting at the bureau sweeping my sandy blonde hair to the side and pinning it up. I applied minimal make up…just some eyeliner and mascara when mom walked in. She smiled and stood behind me handing me my Siren Red Lipstick.

                “You’re supposed to make your lips stand out more…” I smiled and placed it on the bureau and turned around. “Ian’s a really good guy, you know.”

                “Yeah, he is. It’ll be refreshing to go out with someone who isn’t in the modeling life.” She smiled hesitantly and I knew this was one instance she was going to give me her two cents.

                “This isn’t just some rebound thing, is it? I mean, you and Brian just broke up a few days ago…” I scoffed and turned back around.

                “It’s just a date, and no. This isn’t a rebound thing.” She nodded and stood up to cross the room and look in my suitcase.

                “So what can you wear that you can wear heels and flip flops with?”

                “I was thinking a sundress…” Mom rifled through my suitcase as I applied the lipstick to my full lips.

                “How about this one?” Mom asked holding up a white halter sundress. “You can wear heels with this.”

                “I think that is a mighty fine choice, mom.” Her face lit up and she laid it out neatly on the bed.

                “I won’t stay in your way…but I want to see you before you leave.” I nodded in response and watched her walk out the door, closing it behind her.  I stood up and crossed the bedroom, the hardwood cold against my bare feet and closed the curtains to my window.

                I stripped my clothes off and slipped on my sundress. I pulled out a pair of silver strappy heels and carefully slid them on and walked over to the closet to view the finished product. I had to admit, I looked…pretty…for once. While I’m modeling, photographers and make-up artists want me to look a certain way. “Pout here; she needs more eye shadow! You don’t have enough make-up on!” And so it went on. I felt girly and normal. I heard the doorbell ring and felt my pulse quicken. It felt nice to get nervous again. I grabbed my flip flops and my silver clutch and left my bedroom and started down the stairs, my heels “clunking” with each step.

                “He’s waiting on the porch,” grunted dad from his chair. “Don’t do anything stupid,” he added. I giggled and nodded in reply.

                “I’m the responsible one, remember?” He didn’t reply, but kept his eyes on the newspaper in front of him. “I’ll see you when I get home.” I opened the front door and stepped out. Ian was wearing a royal blue dress shirt with black dress pants. He was facing the driveway ending a phone call. I closed the door behind me and he instantly hung up the phone and turned around.

                “You look beautiful,” he said breathlessly. Once again, my cheeks grew hot.

                “Thank you. You look very dapper yourself.” His eyes lingered on mine, the butterflies shooting through my stomach.

                “Shall we?”

                Ian drove us to a quaint seafood restaurant right on the beach. When we walked it, the lights were dimmed and all of the tables had nautical themed candles flickering. The walls were paneled with wood and a few fishing nets hung on the walls. We were directed to a table near the back and next to a window. We could see the waves crashing to the shore and the seagulls fly overhead. The sky was now an orange-pink hue and the sun was dipping into the water. We were offered wine and our waiter, Steve was giving a few minutes to look over the menu.