The Secret Passage

The most complex structures are often assembled by piecing together small bits of a single puzzle. At present, however, neither Laurie nor any one of the Rogues were quite aware of how anything added up. When September 1st finally arrived, there was not much they could think of besides the new term—for which they weren't particularly concerned about at all, really, if it were to mean they'd be studying all day long. Laurie had quite lost her embarrassing poem—probably for the better too. She'd preoccupied herself by reading Grethel Sparrow's dark family memoir. It was captivating and infuriating at the same time, yet she didn't understand how extremists could take such a masterpiece as pure-blood propaganda. Edmund and Sebastian, however, had other things on their minds.

The scarlet train had just about left London winking at them in the distance. The four of them were crammed in a compartment with their luggage and owls. Dice hotted contently next to Edmund's screech owl Tiger (whose name Gabriel understood when she growled at him from inside her cage. "Bad temper," Gabriel muttered). Gabriel had yet to convince Theodore Nott to let him have his own owl—his older brother wasn't too keen on having Gabriel take care of any living pet just yet. Silently, the other three agreed with the older Nott's judgement.

"I've brought Luce's old Nimbus 2005," Edmund said, smirking. "It's not that run down, but I'd rather not spend anything at the moment. Luce can't work while they're treating her, so we've got to save up a bit."

"Can't be worse than my Comet 320," Gabriel laughed. "Nicked it from Theo—he'll probably send me a Howler when he realises I took it."

"Sentimental value, I reckon," Sebastian smirked.

"It can't be as bad as the school brooms," Laurie said. "Dragonflies outstrip those models!"

"Back in the day, though, Theo says he'd have done anything just to own a Nimbus 2000."

They laughed as the city trailed behind them, replaced by rolling hills so gentle that Laurie couldn't help but let her mind wander for a moment. The country held an odd kind of peace, one that seemed unbreakable. Laurie wondered if the Wizarding World would achieve the same level of calm.

Laurie's peace, however, was disrupted by Gabriel throwing a green coloured Bertie Bott's Every Flavoured Bean. "Oh!"

"Where's your head, Laurie?" Gabriel frowned, shutting the door to their compartment.

"Sorry," she mumbled.

"Anyway, we can't just sabotage her broom, Gabriel—no matter how rotten she may be. It's a Firebolt Superior! It'd be a crime to even jinx it."

"Just a joke, wasn't it?" Gabriel shrugged.

"Ssshh!" Laurie shushed, as Audrey and McTully passed their compartment. They were whispering and smirking at the Rogues, but hadn't bothered to come in and taunt them.

"That's odd, they usually have a go at us," Sebastian said, folding his long legs carefully before him. "What's gotten into them?"

"Well, I hardly have the energy to find out," Gabriel said before sinking lower in his seat to get comfortable. "Don't bother me while I sleep," he snapped before dozing off.

It wasn't long before Sebastian dozed off as well, his mouth hanging open and his arms tangled across his chest like twine. Edmund as well was drifting off. His head dipped and rose as his consciousness faded, and Laurie would've gone to sleep if Hamish Barrows hadn't passed by with Hermes Fawcett, jolting her attention. Barrows had his back turned, but Fawcett caught her eye and stopped right in front of their compartment.

"Hi," he said, popping his head in. "These are your friends, then?"

"Hello," Laurie nodded. "I'd introduce you, but—"