Chapter Seven: Going Home

I wake up to my phone ringing loudly. I reach over and grab it. It's not a number that's in my contacts. I answer it.
"Hello?" I say.
"Is this Aeryn Foxworth?" a woman asks.
"Uh, yes. Who is this?" I ask.
"I'm nurse Amy Newton. I'm calling because.. Well your mother has been in a car accident. She died at the hospital when they arrived," she says solemnly.
"W-what?" I stutter out in disbelief, tears threatening to fall.
"I'm sorry, Ms. Foxworth,"she says. I hang up the phone. I sit up and stare at nothing. My mother is gone. Tears spill from my eyes.
"Hey, Aery- What's wrong?" he asks.
"My-my mother i-is dead," I sob. He hugs me.
"Oh my god, Aeryn, I'm so sorry," he says. I sob into his chest.
"What's going on?" Anthony asks walking in. No one says anything. Anthony just decides to leave it alone. He sits down on my bed.
"I need to-to go back home," I say into Ian's chest.
"Yeah. I understand. I'll come with," he says. I pull out of the hug and nod at him.
"Let's get packing. We can leave this afternoon," Ian says. I wipe my eyes. Ian walks out to go pack. Anthony gives me a small hug.
"I'm so sorry," he whispers.
"Its not your fault," I say. He smiles sympathetically at me, then walks out. I pack my clothes, laptop, phone charger, and the rest of my things into my suitcase and backpack. I bring them to the living room. Ian walks out with a small suitcase.
"Alright let's go," he says. We walk out and Ian drives us to the airport.
Once on the plane, I decide to just sleep. It'll get my mind off of things atleast for awhile.
"Aeryn, we landed," Ian says shaking my shoulder. My eyes open. I grab my backpack and follow Ian off the plane.
We get into a taxi and go back to my apartment. I unlock the door and walk inside.
"Nice place," Ian comments. I smile at him. I set my suitcase on the floor in the living room. I plop down on the couch.
"Hey. You okay?" he asks. I shrug. "It'll be alright. Your mom loved you very much."
"I know," my voice cracks.
"Oh, Aer," he says hugging me. I cry into his shoulder for the second time today. He strokes my hair.
"It'll be okay," he says.
"No. No it won't!" I shout standing up. Ian looks at me surprised. "My mom was the only one that cared about me for so long! My dad has never been in the picture! Don't you understand?! I lost the last immediate family I had! She's helped me with my life for so long I-I don't know what I'm going to do without her!" I fall to my knees and put my hands over my face.
"She helped me through everything. Even when Carter cheated on me she was there immediately after I-I called her. She was my support and without her I-I'll break," I say through sobs. Ian helps me stand up.
"Sit down. I'll make us some coffee," he says. I sit on the couch and pull my knees up to my chest. I hear a knock on the door.
"I'll get it. You stay put," Ian says.
"Is this the residence of Aeryn Foxworth?" someone asks.
"Yes. Who are you?" Ian asks defensively.
"I'm Patrick Taylor, Aeryn's father," he says. "I heard about her mother and I, uh, felt the need come see her." I get up off the couch.
"You think you have the right to just come here after she died!" I shout walking to the door. "Its not right! You weren't there when I was growing up and I was just fine! I certainly don't need you now!"
"Aeryn," he says calmly. "I know I don't have the right. I understand that, but I have your mother's will."
I hold my.hand out asking for it. He puts it in my hand. I rip open the envelope and pull our the piece of paper.
Aeryn,
If you're reading this I have died and you've probably just met your father for the first time. Give him a chance, Aeryn. He didn't walk out on us... I asked him to leave. Don't be mad at me. It was what was best at the time. Anyways, baby, I'm giving you everything. My money, car, house, everything. It's yours now. Do with it what you will. I love you, Sweetheart.
-Mom
Tears slide down my face. Ian and Patrick look curiously at me.
"She gave me everything," I whisper. Ian hugs me.
"You can come live with me and Anthony if you want," Ian offers. I shake my head.
"I have to stay here. To.. Plan the funeral," I say.
"I can help if you want," Patrick offers.
"No," I say.
"Com'on just let me-"
"No."
"Its not my fault I wasn't in your life, Aeryn. Your mother asked me to leave you both alone," He explains.
"I know," I say. "But I just want a simple funeral."
"At least let me pay for it," he says.
"No. I couldn't let you do that," I protest.
"You can, and you will," he says.
"I don-"
"I absolutely insist."
I sigh. "Fine."
I turn my phone on later that night, once I'm in bed. Six text messages pop up on the screen. All of them from the Smosh Games crew.
Aeryn, you left today? Is everything okay? I hope your okay. What happened? I don't know what I'm going to do without you here, Aer. -Joshua
Anthony told me what happened to your mom. I'm sorry. I'm just a phone call away -Mari
Are you okay? I heard you left today? -David
Don't leave me with these people! Aeryn, I hope you're okay. What happened? -Wes
You okay? -Anthony
You left? What happened? Are you okay? Aeryn I'm freaking out right now! What's wrong? -Matt
I type out replies for everyone saying I'm fine, telling them what happened, and that it's definitely not their fault I left.

"There is that everything?" Patrick asks the next day after we planned her funeral.
"Yeah. I think so," I say. "We'll have it this coming weekend. I just want to put her to rest."
I stare at the floor thinking of all the days mom and I spent together.
"Mommy! Mommy! Wake up! Its Christmas!" my five year old self shouts jumping on mom's bed.
"Alright. Alright, Aeryn," mom chuckles putting on her bathrobe and walking with me downstairs to the tree.
I open presents as mom watches. She smiles at me. I had gotten a Barbie, two outfits other than the one she had on, and a Barbie sports car. I hadn't gotten a lot that Christmas, but it was the best Christmas I had because mom was there and we spent the whole day together.
That's how every Christmas went. We would spend the whole day together and Christmas was always the best holiday. Not because of presents or anything like that. It was the best because I got to spend the day with my mom. I wish I could spend one more day with her...