Chapter 17

"Nico," Reyna said.

I blinked and focused on her. From the way she was looking at me, I assumed she had said my name multiple times.

"Sorry," I said, guiltily. 

"You've been really distracted today," she said.

"Sorry," I said, again. I couldn't help it, though. I was still thinking about Will, and how we kissed, and how amazing it was, and how I couldn't wait to see him again...

"Nico! You're doing it again." Reyna snapped her fingers in front of my eyes.

"Sorry," I said, for the third time, wincing.

We had been walking to a meeting together, and as we were about to open the door, it opened and Octavian came out. 

He had a slight smirk on his face, which he quickly traded for a forced frown when he saw us. 

 "What're you so happy about?" Reyna snapped, flipping her dark hair over one shoulder and glaring at Octavian.

"Happy? I'm definitely not happy," he said, in a tone that obviously meant he was happy. "Why would I be happy that Apollo's declared war?"

At first I was just mildly concerned. It was like my brain flashed back to the before-Will period of time. Ugh, this is going to be annoying. I'll have to fight; people are going to die, and Hades is going to be pissed. Then my brain came back to the after-Will period of time, and my stomach sank. My happiness, that came from being with Will, fell away. Oh, no. No, no, no. This is really bad.

Reyna cursed under her breath, then looked up at me. "Nico, you okay?"

Octavian grinned widely. "You look downright panicked."

"Well," I said, trying to compose myself. "War isn't a good thing, so...yeah."

"We're going to win, so don't worry," Octavian said, with the air of someone consoling a small child.

I shot him a glare, then wordlessly pushed past him, Reyna at my heels.

"What's with everything today?" Reyna sighed. "First you, and now the angels declared war, and Hades is gonna be pissed off-are you listening to me?"

I shook away thoughts of Will and said "Yes."

"Honestly. We're about to go to war," Reyna said, shaking her head with a tense smile. "You've got to get your head in the game."

"I know, I know," I said, sitting down at the table and pushing a stack of papers to the middle of the table.

~~~~~~~~~

During the meeting, I ignored whoever was talking and tried to figure out how I was feeling. 

It was only one kiss, I tried to convince myself. We both knew a war was coming. Will is going to understand if we have to stop hanging out, and I've only liked him for about two weeks so I can get over him, probably. Maybe.

"What do you think, Nico?" Somebody's voice cut through my thoughts.

"I agree with Reyna," I said, distractedly.

"So you'll be in charge of defensive strategy?"

"Huh?" I said. Reyna glared at me across the table. "I mean, sure, yeah. I'm happy to."

"Great," Reyna said, shooting me a look that said she would yell at me later.

I sighed. I had one amazing day, and the next just had to be horrible. I just wished all of this, the entire demon/angel thing, would disappear and I could go talk to Will, which, not surprisingly, was the only thing I wanted to do lately.

_______________________

Haha, forgot about the war, didn't you? And thought they could live happily together for the rest of their immortal lives without any stress? I almost did, too. 

Anyway, so so so so so sorry for the awkward chapter (especially the end, ugh it was so bad; it was painful) and the large amount of time in between updates. I just have to get past this chapter and the quality will improve, though maybe only marginally. And sorry for any mistakes, I'm too tired to reread. 

I just remembered: feel free to correct any mistakes in the comments, or yell at me to update if you want. It's actually really helpful. Hope you didn't completely despise this awful chapter.