Chapter 1

I walked down the street searching for any type of food. Since humans have no status in this world like we don't even exist, we get the leftovers from the palace or whatever the farmers can grow. Not many people can themselves "rich" during this time. The very well fed can describe themselves as rich but when it comes to money, not really. I turned around and saw a man who was a little older than I was holding a bag. He didn't looked to good. I kept walking and saw a fruit stand. I searched my pocket for some change and had at least a dollar. I sighed and walked up to the stand and looked at the fruit. Same old same old. Just half a carrot, two apples and a whole banana. No one wanted to buy this stuff. Not even those who really need food. I looked at the prices and saw I had just enough for the two apples. I put my change down and put the apples in my bag. Next I went to the old water hose to fill up my water bottle. I filled it half way cause the water always went out. Once I finished, I went to my house and went to the kitchen. My mom was laying on our old couch reading the newspaper. Holes and stains covered the couch. In front of the couch sat an old wooden coffee table that was on the verge of snapping at any moment. To the left of the couch and table laid a mattress that my mother and I share. On top of that was a ratty old cover that barely kept us warm. The kitchen is okay. We have a stove and the oven goes up to 100 degrees. The sink pours out a little bit of water at a time. Our bathroom is just a bucket and we throw our "business" out the window. Yep this is home. I set my bag on the table in the living room and piled everything on the coffee table.

"Look what I got mom", I said.

She examined everything on the table and smiled. She looked happy. Well, of course she is. We haven't had this much food since last week. I grabbed two cups from the kitchen and poured some water into them and grabbed an apple.

"Izzy, I looked through the jobs in the newspaper and I circled a few you might like", my mom said.

She handed me the paper and I flipped through the papers. Same thing everyday. Nothing I'm interested in. Except for one. To work in the castle. I would've never thought that the royals would need some more people to work there. They have plenty of workers.

"Mom. You didn't tell me about this one", I said.

"Oh well I didn't think you would like that one", she said.

I stared at the page and read it over and over again. Tomorrow will be the beginning of a new chapter in my life.