Chapter 3

The Great Hall looked its usual splendid self, decorated for the feast. Golden plates and goblets gleamed by the light of hundreds and hundreds of candles, floating over the tables in midair. The four long House tables were packed with chattering students; at the top of the Hall, the staff sat along one side of a fifth table, facing their pupils. I saw Severus and gave him a small smile. Harry, Ron, Hermione and I walked past the Slytherins, the Ravenclaws, and the Hufflepuffs, and sat down with the rest of the Gryffindors at the far side of the Hall, next to Fred, George and Lee Jordan. "Alvina, our favorite pranking apprentice!" Fred and George exclaimed when they saw me. I huffed, "I'm your only apprentice." They laughed and hugged me. For some unknown reason, my heart beat speeds up when Fred hugs me. I shook that feeling off and Lee greeted me with a high five. "Ready to kick some Slytherin arse this Quidditch season?" He asked. "Of course, I'm as ready as I'll ever be." I replied in confidence. I looked around and a question popped into my mind. "Ron, what is that dress robe for anyway?" I asked. Ron replied with equal confusion, "Mom wouldn't tell us. But it's so not fair though, Harry got a really nice robe." Harry shrugged. I turned my face to Hermione, expecting an answer. "I don't know. I just brought it because Mrs. Weasley told me to." She said. This freaks me out, first of all, Hermione knows EVERYTHING. Secondly, I don't have a dress robe for whatever is going to happen. Soon, Professor McGonagall started to call up the first years to get sorted into a house. I can't help but remember the first day I arrived at Hogwarts. Severus thought it would be great for both of us if I get sort into Slytherin; yet when I found out most dark wizards and witches came from Slytherin, I changed my mind. I was shocked when Professor McGonagall announced a hat is going to sort us into houses we belong to. I'm letting a piece of old drapery to decide my future? My judgement towards the hat completely changed when it was put on me. Hm... Alvena Faith Castillo. A very bright kid full with potential of being a Ravenclaw. Has a very kind heart and fights for your opinion. Interesting... oh! And a very strong desire to succeed! That makes a good Slytherin...where should I put you? I wasn't sure if the hat can hear me but somehow the idea of wanting to be in Gryffindor was heard by him. Gryffindor? That would be suitable. You will do well there. GRYFFINDOR!

I smiled, thank Merlin I chose Gryffindor; or else I wouldn't be best friends with Harry, Ron and Hermione. It was hard at first because they're never a fan of Serverus and the feeling is mutual between my best friends and stepfather. In the end, my best friends accept me for who I am, not for my family background and Severus learned to cope with the fact I'm best friends with Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger. So everything gone just swell. The sorting ceremony ended. WHERE'S THE FOOD? Usually, Dumbledore would make a short speech before we eat but now he's just sitting there. HELLO? PROFESSOR? I'M STARVING. Everyone seems to be on the same page with me except for Hermione, she is having a conversation about house elves with Nearly Headless Nick. But at that moment, there was a deafening rumble of thunder and the doors of the Great Hall banged open. A man stood in the doorway, leaning upon a long staff, shrouded in a black traveling cloak. Every head in the Great Hall swiveled toward the stranger, suddenly brightly illuminated by a fork of lightning that flashed across the ceiling. He lowered his hood, shook out a long mane of grizzled, dark gray hair, then began to walk up toward the teachers' table. His eerie aura is made me shift in my seat uncomfortably. The stranger reached Dumbledore. He stretched out a hand that was as badly scarred as his face, and Dumbledore shook it, muttering words I couldn't hear. Dumbledore broke the deafening silence and said "May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher" said Dumbledore brightly into the silence. "Professor Moody." It was usual for new staff members to be greeted with applause, but none of the staff or students clapped except Dumbledore and Hagrid. Everyone else seemed too mesmerized by Moody's bizarre appearance to do more than stare at him. Dumbledore spoke," Since everyone is here. Let the feast begin!" Delicious food and tasty drinks appeared on the table and I didn't waste a second to start dig in; it's like a muscle memory. "The new professor is freaking me out." Harry admitted. "Arn wee o? " Ron said with his mouth full of food. Hermione suddenly said, "Slave labor! This is where our food come from." She said in disgust. I raised my eyebrows questionably. My thoughts drifted to Severus, he must be furious that he didn't get the defense against dark art job again this year. To be honest, I think he's a great potion teacher; if you put aside the fact he always shows favoritism towards the Slytherins.