Chapter 16

As soon as Molly stormed off after Simon,  Dani went to look for Jax.

"It's Molly! She's the murderer," Dani said excitedly once they were in their cabin.

"What are you talking about?" Jax asked as he unbuttoned his shirt, distracting Dani.

"What?"

Jax chuckled, "About Molly?"

"Right! I heard her and Simon," Dani went on to explain what she had overheard.

The familiar ringtone of Jax's cellphone filled the air, "Hey Montoya. What have you got for me?"

"Something interesting. I ran the names and descriptions you gave me through the database. There was a Simon Clinefeld that had been involved in the death of his wife. A Sarah Clinefeld. She jumped off a building so it was ruled a suicide."

"Why did they think he did it?"

"He was on the rooftop with her when she jumped," Roberto answered. "They couldn't prove he killed her since the life insurance money went to her mom."

"That's strange."

"Well she had changed the policy to make her mother the beneficiary a few weeks prior."

"Dani overheard him call Mrs. Clinefeld a murderer."

"Sorry partner, I have nothing on her."

"Anything on the doctors?" Jax asked.

"Now that's where it gets interesting. The wife is clean but the husband...he had a sexual assault charge brought against him in college."

"You're kidding me," Jax muttered.

"It was dropped. Rich boy's family covered it up and the girl dropped her charges."

"Alright thanks. Let me know if you find anything else out," Jax was about to disconnect the call.

"Hey Jax," Robert said. "How are you and Dani doing?"

"What do you mean?"

Roberto smirked on the other end, "You know what I mean. You like her."

"Now isn't the time to be focusing on that."

"If it's about Vivian, you need to let her go man. If you don’t, you'll never be happy."

"Thank you but we're doing fine. We'll be leaving in a few days."

Jax disconnected the phone to see Dani tapping a finger against her chin, "I think you should let me talk to Simon...alone."

"Hell no," Jax shook his head. "That guy is dangerous."

"I'll be careful."

They argued all the way to the mess hall. Bo and Shelly sat with them.

"Did you hear? The Morgan couple passed phase one. They'll be undergoing the conceiving ritual tonight," Shelly said sadly. "They've only been here two weeks. I don't understand why we have to wait so long. How are we not ready?"

"Darling, calm down," Bo whispered.

"Well it isn't fair," Shelly whined. "I just want a baby. Why can't I go into the lake and get blessed?"

"Why don't you just sneak into the lake?" Dani asked.

"Are you kidding?" Shelly looked outraged. "The lake only blesses those with permission to enter it. If you go in without passing stage one, you'll be cursed."

Dani started laughing and only stopped when she noticed Bo and Shelly staring at her aghast, "Oh...so you weren't joking just now?"

"This isn't a game Dani. Bo and I really want a baby."

"So what happens tonight?" Jax asked.

"The men usually gather together with the husband. The women don't do anything. Laura Morgan will go through the ritual of course," Bo explained.

"I'm not too sure since we haven't been through it. Dr. Meredith helps her at the lake while Dr. Bart gives her some kind of ritualistic meal. Dr. Silverman hasn't really been involved much since her pregnancy," Shelly shared.

"She just wants to be careful," Bo said. "Apparently she and her husband have had several miscarriages."

"That's so sad," Dani whispered.

"She has to help all these people get pregnant when she keeps losing her babies. It would drive me insane if I had to see pregnant women all the time knowing I couldn't have a child," Shelly said sadly making Dani think she was talking more about herself that Meredith Silverman.

After lunch, Jax said he was going to look for Dr. Bart Silverman. Dani decided to take a walk to the women's meeting room. She saw Genevive and Dr. Meredith Silverman.

"Genevive, you can't keep saying my husband is the father of your child as much as you wish it were true," Meredith said.

"Why would I lie about something that can easily be proven?" Genevive asked.

Meredith wasn't phased, "Because you've done it before. You didn't think we'd hire you without doing a background check, did you? This will be child number three, right?"

Genevive stuttered, "You...you looked into my personal life?"

"Of course. Bart insisted on hiring you. He said your ability to give your children away the way you did shows a strength most women don't have. I disagreed. I think you're cold. Maybe even a little crazy. So let me say this clearly. If you keep trying to corner my husband, I will fire you. Am I clear?"

Genevive scowled, "Your husband isn't as sweet as you'd like to think. I just hope I'm there when the truth comes out." Genevive walked away, leaving Meredith alone.

Dani saw the doctor rub her pregnant stomach before groaning in pain. Meredith took a few deep breaths before loudly saying, "You can come out now."

Dani looked around. She must've known Dani had been hiding. She took a few steps forward.

"Don't you know it's rude to eavesdrop?" Meredith asked.

"Yes, but in my defense you all have very interesting conversations."

Meredith laughed, "That's true."

"Are you okay?" Dani asked the pregnant doctor. "I saw you earlier. You looked like you were in pain."

"I'm fine. That woman stresses me out. My husband isn't the only man she's accused of being her baby's father by the way."

"Why don't you fire her?"

Meredith sighed, "She's my cousin. I told Bart not to hire her...especially after getting her background check back...but he insisted we help family."

"Wow, you’re related to that crazy woman?"

"Don't remind me. If I knew then that she'd bring her drama to Majestic Waters, I'd have been more adamant about not hiring her. She has no idea that her wild accusations might land her in trouble one day."

Dani thought of Molly, "That's true. Jealous wives are scary."

Meredith laughed again before leaving Dani to go lie down before the ritual for Lauren Morgan. Dani headed in the direction that Genevive had gone to. She saw her enter one of the small cabins that were designated to employees. She looked around before slowly walking up to one of the cabin's windows and peeking in.

She saw Genevive plop herself down on her bed, cursing Meredith Silverman's name. She changed her position several times before yelling in frustration, "So annoying!"

Dani watched in horror as Genevive tossed the maternity top she was wearing over head and proceeded to remove a silicone baby bump.

Dani gasped and flung herself against the cabin to prevent herself from being seen. She didn't know what to think. Why would Genevive be wearing a fake baby bump? The answer was obvious.
She wasn't really pregnant.