Chapter 29 Love You

Check out my other story "Kidnapped Wali Girlfriend" if you have time (its not a sequel). Thanks to those who have already <3

Chapter 29 - Love You

[Rahul's P. O. V.]

The second I saw Preet in the water, I kicked off my chappals (flip flops) and jumped.

So much for military training.

Preet's mom yelled my name but it was too late. I owed her this.

I swam as fast as I could over to where Preet was struggling. Suddenly, she disappeared.

"Preet!"

Holding my breath, I went underwater. Two years of college swim team had to pay off. Seeing her sinking frightened me.

I grabbed her and pulled us both out, gasping for breath.

"Preet!" She was unconscious. There weren't any spaces to stop. The walls around the canal were too high. I didn't know how we were getting out. I held Preet around the waist with one arm and slapped her back with another. Her head rested on my shoulder. "Wake up. Please." This is all my fault. I knew she was crazy. But not to this degree. What if she . . . died? No. Not, my drama queen. "Open your eyes, dammit!"

No response.

The current was dragging us farther and I lost sight of Preet's mom.

I held her to myself and floated in the water. "I'm sorry," I whispered to her desperately. "I'm sorry for asking you to jump. I didn't think you'd . . . do it." She couldn't die on me. "I'm sorry for not believing you. I'm sorry. Oh god, just say something! Anything!" We were headed in a random direction. I couldn't see Preet's mom or anyone else for that matter. "I love you," I said giving up all hopes.

"I love you more, stupid."

What?!

I pulled her back only to find a happy, smiling face.

[Preet's P. O. V.]

Rahul was astonished to see me . . . alive. I had been pretending to be unconscious to see what he would do or say. Finally, he had said the words I wanted to hear.

"You were pretending?" he asked. I smiled and bobbed my head up and down. He let out an exasperated sigh and brought me to his chest. He just held me for a while. "Why in the world did you jump?"

"You told me to," I said, pulling my head back enough to face him.

"I didn't think you'd actually be stupid enough to do it!"

"People do anything in love. Maine bhi try kar liya (I tried, too)."

"You always prove that pandit (priest) right," he said, shaking his head. I frowned. "He said when I find the one for me, we'll get into life threatening situations. Basically, we're bad luck for each other."

"But we survive together," I pointed out. He chuckled softly. "I'm willing to make it work if you are."

"No matter how hard I try, I can't get rid of you." I slapped his chest lightly. "You hurt me a lot with your stupid plan. And with this jump." He let out a frustrated sigh. "And you know the worst part?" I stared at him with tear stricken face. What could be worse than being in the middle of a water canal? "Rather than me moving on, I keep falling harder and harder for you."

"I literally fell for you."

"Preet?"

"I'm right here."