Chapter 1

Emily used to have a normal life, but then one day she lost everything.

*Emily*

Just a normal day in the orphan house. Oh wait no it's not, it's my 17th birthday today, yay. And I don't say that with joy. It's been now...what 15 years sense I got here. I've been adopted before but they all ended up giving me up. Never get to comfortable I tell myself. I have died hair, it's light blue and light green. My eyes are ocean blue and I am 5'8. I'm in love with two bands. One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer. I have a depression and they really help me. I wonder if I had my parents right now then I might of really been able to go to a concert. But some people are less fortunate than others.

"Get up! Get up, get up, get up!" My house mother yells and turns on the lights and every girl groans. I put my head under my pillow. Mrs. Joan's is a 67 year old widow. Once her husband passed away she decided to carry on with her life and be a mother. But she is 67 and can't have kids so she thinks this is the best job for her. She's not that bright of a person though. We all have one chore to do for the day and it's on a chart in the living room. At least its one chore. Today's Wednesday and I have school. I get up and make my bed like we have to. I grab the clothes that are placed on my chest in front of my bed. I go into the bathroom and change. My school doesn't care what we ware, that's just another part of nobody caring in my crapy life. School just started a few weeks ago. So it's still summer. I put on a light blue tank top with noodle straps and short shorts. I then slip on my gym shoes and brush my hair and put style it in a messy bun. I brush my teeth and go down to the kitchen.

"Did you do your chore Emily?" Mrs. Jones asks me with a glare.

"No I'll do it after school."

"Young lady, I don't ask much from you. Do it now, you have plenty of time."

"And I don't ask much from you but the first thing you say to me on my birthday is 'did you do your chore?'!" I yell and grab an apple with my book bag storming out the door.

"If I have to live one more day with that old hag I'll die." I mumble walking to my bus stop. When I get to the stop sign I sit on the old bench and pull out my book. The outsiders. It's one of my favorites. I read for about 20 minutes when I see Devon walk to the stop. He is 15 and is the second oldest child in the house.

"Hey Em." He says. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks. Your the first person to tell me that." I frown.

"I got you something." He pulls out something from his backpack. Devon is like my best friend.

"You didn't have to." I tell him.

"Well I wanted to and your going to take it." He hands it to me and it's in light wrapping. I open it to see a gold chain with a small heart that is like a pearl color. And it glows.

"Oh, Devon. It's beautiful." I hug him.

"I know. I got it because it matches your hair. Let me help you." I turn around and he clips it on me. I hear the bus roar and we get on.