Wireless Issues

Problem: DNS servers can't be reached?

Solution: make sure you have settings set so you are using a dynamic IP and not a static IP. (Dynamic renews IP and Static is for things like Gaming).

Problem: Can't connect to Internet?

Solution: make sure the modem's connection is okay (make sure all the lights are on and showing it is working correctly, refer to the manual)!

2nd Solution: check the router is okay (make sure router SSID is broadcasting, make sure you read the manual on how it works)!

3rd Solution: check to see cables are secured with no kinks, burns, breaks, or pinches in them!

Problem: general network problems?

Solution: reboot the computer,

2nd Solution: reboot network device

Problem: Improperly installed NIC?

Solution: Make sure the card is installed properly into the slot. Check the Device Manager to see it is there also. Update the network card driver installed in the system if you receive error messages. If necessary uninstall the existing driver reinstall an updated driver.

Problem: ISP is down?

Solution: Call the Internet Service Provider (ISP) via a cell phone or landline to confirm the ISP is down.  If they are not down, unplug and reboot the modem, router, and computer.

Problem: low wireless signal strength?

Solution:  Make certain the router is not blocked by other objects.  Move any power cords as far away as possible.  Move the router to a higher location or a different room.  Move the receiver closer.  Try changing the router channel.

Problem: invalid IP address?

Solution:  Click the Windows Start button and enter "Run".  Then type "cmd".  Type "ipconfig".   If an error happens, enter "IPconfig/release" then "IPconfig/renew".   Then try "IPconfig" again.  You should get a list of IP addresses including the default gateway.  Enter "Ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" where XXX is the IP address of the default gateway, such as "192.168.1.1".  You should results back from the Ping.  If you don't, unplug the router and reset it to factory default settings and try again.