Chapter 17: Clearings and Runnings

“Okay,” I said. They all looked dead serious, “Begin,” I finished.

                “Well, Um, You know how I said the Mage Indian tribe died off?” I nodded at what Jake said, still not seeing the point, “Well, we lied, they’re werewolves too, but they are weaker than us because our tribe was the first werewolves. They still pose a threat because of their numbers. They have made many threats against our lies and they want you, bad.” Jake looked at me for a reaction, but continued, “You know the werewolf and man that tried to take you three weeks ago?” How could I forget, that was scary, “Well, they were mages and the werewolf was their alpha, Tim. Many other packs want to take you away and have threatened war on our pack to get you. What do you think about all this? You must be angry, we lied to you.” Jake said, he was shaking, Okay, I didn’t know my answer affected him so much.

                I burst out laughing and they looked at me in confusion. I managed to say, “You thought I’d be upset about that? Like a little preppy girl? No, sir-ee” between fits of laughter. Instead of Jake continuing Danny did. I missed Danny; we didn’t hang out at all.

                “Kristen this is serious, the threats will go down once you’ve mated with Jake, because your power can only be transferred once but there will still be threats. This is awkward to say, but you need to mate with Jake soon, or risk the chance you will be kidnapped and raped. We can’t always save you. It’s your decision.” I gulped. This was a big decision. I would need time, but I think I know my answer.

                “I, I need time to think, time to pray.” Danny nodded I continued, “I also want to talk to Jake, alone. Thanks for coming Danny and Cooper.” I smiled at them and they walked to a car hopped in and drove off.

                I turned to Jake, “This is a rough decision on me, and you know that, right?” He nodded I continued, “Pro, your pack would stop getting threats. Pro, I wouldn’t have to worry about being kidnapped and,” I shuddered, “raped. Con, I would be like all other teenage girls. Con, I would be slapping God in the face. Con, I wouldn’t be able to say I’m pure.” I looked him straight in the eyes. As much as this talk was embarrassing it needed to be done, “Do you have anything to say?”

                He looked at me back, “Well,” He shifted in his seat, “I could mark you, but not fully mate with you. It completes part of the process, but it still is not the full thing. We also could get our parents to approve, and get a marriage licenses to get married.” he looked at me, I guess this isn’t how I wanted my marriage proposal to go, but I also didn’t want to be a powerful human werewolf. I guess I’m stuck, but I am so happy at the same time.

                “Can we wait on the marriage? I don’t want to be a Mrs. Yet, I want to enjoy life. How does marking me go?” I could see the hurt in his eyes when I said no to the marriage, but I’m only fifteen!

                “Like this,” He leaned in on my shoulder and bit me. It felt great. Tingles went from my toes to my fingertips and nose, He than licked where he had bit, “and you do the same to me.” His voice filled with pride as he starred at his, I mean my mark.

                “Show me,” I said, He told me to bite his shoulder, it felt creepy, and it reminded me of vampires, but I did, and as soon as I did I felt pride in what I had accomplished, but before I could say anything Jake leaned in and kissed me. I kissed back and it felt better than all the other kisses. This kiss beat our first kiss by a long shot. I felt whole because in a way this was our first kiss. The first of many kisses as a half- way mated couple.

                When we were done kissing I leaned away and Jake whispered, “I love you.” Before I could return anything back the door to his house swung open to reveal a pretty woman. It was Jake’s mother; I had met her a lot over the course of these few weeks.