The Creepshow

Chapter 19 - The Creepshow

Nick and the guys, with the exception of Skylar, started unloading the truck. For whatever reason, he held back.

"Whew! I'm so glad that's over," I said, collapsing on a wooden swing hanging from the porch. I'd been so consumed with impressing the guys, I barely noticed Thomas waiting for me when I got back. Right then, I was too excited to care.

"You were great!" Carmen said, sitting down beside me.

"They really liked it, didn't they?" I beamed.

She nodded. "I told you they would."

"I don't know why, but I expected guys from California to think we're all hicks from the sticks in the Midwest. I never thought they would be so impressed with corn. Go figure."

"You are a hick from the sticks," she reminded me.

I pretended to be insulted, sticking out my lower lip.

She smiled proudly. "Everything is going to be fine now. Just you wait and see."

We lingered silently on the porch before Carmen glanced up. "Look, someone's checking us out."

I turned to follow her eyes and made a face. "Isn't that your cousin?"

"Eeuuw!" Carmen pretended to gag. "By us...I meant you." She grinned, poking me in the shoulder with a sharp finger. "You have issues."

I peeked at Skylar over my shoulder and caught him staring at me. I blushed harder and looked away, pulling my hair over my cheek to hide behind the crimson curtain. When I lifted my hair to peek, he was gone.

Carmen glanced at her watch. "We better put our costumes on and get ready for tonight." She stood up from the swing, motioning over her shoulder. "They're in my brother's ride."

"Alright," I agreed. "Meet me upstairs in my room. It's the first door on the right."

I went into the kitchen, took two jars out of a cupboard, and grabbed a 2-liter bottle of pop from the fridge. I was already half way up the stairs when I noticed my bedroom light on and the door open.

I distinctly remembered closing my door this morning. If Thomas wanted to try and scare me again, he was going to have to try harder. This time I'd be ready for him.

Creeping silently to my room, I paused briefly in the hall. Turning the knob, I gave the door a shove and burst into my room. "Ah, ha!"

Carmen and I screamed at the same time, until we both ran out of air.

"What are you doing?" she cried, angry and panicked at the same time. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

My eyes darted around the room. Thomas was nowhere to be found. "I...uh, I thought you were someone else."

Of one thing I knew to be painfully obvious - she wasn't done being mad. Not even close. "Who else did you expect to be waiting for you in your room?"

"No one." It came out more like a question than an answer.

Carmen rolled her eyes. "Guurrl, please! You are seriously losin' it."

I held up the pop as a peace offering. "Thirsty?"

"What is that in your hand?"

I glanced at the pop. "A bottle." Again, I made it a question. If she was trying to confuse me, it was working.

She shook her head, squinting her eyes. "No. Your other hand. Are those...jars?" I held them up as she stepped forward to inspect the worn labels. "Pickle jars?" she laughed. "This has to be some kind of joke. Are you punking me right now?"