Chapter Three

Chapter Three: Just One more Time         

              Ever since I met the waitress at the café, I haven't been able to dream properly. Every time I close my eyes I smell coffee not the flowery scent of her. I toss and turn and always wake up at midnight. And it got weirder every night. I would hear small fits of laughter then a minute later quiet sobs.

                Once when I was getting groceries, I saw her. She was sitting on a bus bench and had her face buried in a book. I turned away real quick and blinked and then faced the bus bench again. Only she was gone. I thought I was going crazy but what if these hallucinations of her are actually. . .real. I don't know how to describe it, but what if my dream girl is real?

                I went back to the market the following day since I forgot something and there she was. She stood across the street holding a little boy's hand and about six more kids following behind her. Her lips moved up and down but as soon as her eyes met mine, a bus came zooming by and once it passed, she and the children were gone.

              I dropped the small brown bag I held and ran across the street, running around the block but it was as if every trace of her. . . it was as if her being was just something only I could see. Even her scent was just. . . it was. . .gone

              That night, I lay awake on my bed and just pictured her again. I turned to my side and took off my round glasses. I placed them on the nightstand beside my bed and just stared at my bedroom door. I could just imagine her opening the door with her small smile and her red hair and green eyes.

           No it wasn't my dream girl I was seeing; it was the waitress.

            Why couldn't I see my dream girl? Did she just perish from my mind? It didn't. I couldn't understand my feelings. I liked my dream girl so much and perhaps I even loved her but still the chubby waitress who calls herself Miyuki, she possessed my thoughts.

            I finally accepted that night that maybe my dream girl was just toy in my mind. Maybe I needed love so she was only a figment of my imagination. She was only a figment. I finally had some sleep that night and instead of my dream girl, it was the waitress I talked to.

           Yamauchi Miyuki. Oh how I wish I never met you since you took away my dream girl. 

           My dream girl. . . I never even knew your name. I just wish that maybe, just maybe I could dream about you one more time.