Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen 

Dane was already on board the Rover, going through the pilot's flight check list, when Callan and Ser Keating arrived the next morning. Callan studied him for a moment but the concentration on his face, required for working through the checklist, prevented him from being able to read any other expression. His bottom lip was held firmly between his white teeth. He couldn't tell if Dane had succeeded with Oliver or not. No, he was pretty sure nothing had happened, the Lieutenant was hardly going to throw his principles out into space after a couple of friendly drinks. He brought himself up short. He didn't have time to worry about that now, he was sure he'd find out soon enough! 

His three security staff arrived at that point, dressed in plain clothes as he had requested. He checked that they were all armed appropriately before filling them in on the mission details.  

"The Victory uses an LS 223 security system," advised Callan. "Every guest is scanned when they walk through the front door. That should detect any laser guns, electronic or metal weapons, but it won't detect anything made of plasfoam or wood, like a knife or cosh. I've arranged with the hotel for you to be given access to the two rooms either side of 201," Callan nodded at Talyor and Vinh. "I want you to check them as well as following our usual security procedures. Muller and I will stay with Ser Keating. Any questions?" 

No-one had any. Once Ser Keating strapped himself in, Callan gave the signal to Dane to depart. 

The voyage to Kapunda was pleasingly uneventful and Dane set the Rover down smoothly in the landing bay. He would remain on duty inside the locked ship until Callan and the rest of the group returned that afternoon. 

Talyor and Vinh disembarked first, scanning the area to make sure it was safe before allowing Ser Keating to leave the safety of the ship. Callan took up position alongside the mine manager and Muller stayed back a few metres, guarding their rear. Not that Callan was seriously expecting an attack on the way to the hotel but he wanted everyone to start as they meant to continue. He still felt uneasy about the whole setup. He wasn't going to relax until they were all safely back on Asra. 

They reached the Victory about an hour before the scheduled meeting. It was one of the more exclusive hotels, only four stories high, built out of the ubiquitous plasfoam but the architect had given it a touch of elegance by choosing local stone to cover the exterior. Polished pale gold with occasional white streaks, the hotel looked both stylish and graceful. A high arched entrance opened into the ground floor, a wide open space with a circular reception desk in the middle and transparent elevator tubes on the left side, to transport guests and luggage up to the rooms above.  

A bar occupied the length of the right hand wall, small tables and chairs were scattered around for patrons to relax with a cup of coffee, or perhaps a drink, while they browsed the latest news. 

Callan ushered a rather tense Ser Keating over to the bar and ordered a cup of coffee for both of them. He chose a table with his back to the wall and made light conversation while he scanned the room and every person who entered. Muller strolled casually around the reception area until he was satisfied then bought his own cup of coffee, sitting down a few tables away from the other men.  

Talyor and Vinh checked in briefly at Reception and then disappeared upstairs. 

About ten minutes later, a small group of men walked in through the archway. Two of them moved like sabrecats, feline predators that Callan had only seen in holovids. They flanked a smaller man wearing a black cap and all three went directly to one of the elevators. "Chang?" mouthed Callan, even as he sent a rapid message through to Talyor and Vinh. 

"Looks like him," agreed Keating. 

They remained seated, watching as a family of four entered and clustered noisily around Reception. A man dressed in a dark red singlesuit and matching cap followed a few seconds later, carrying a large bunch of yellow flowers and stood waiting patiently. The Receptionist broke off his conversation with the parents for a moment to check the messenger's wristcom and direct him to the elevator, then turned his attention back to the family. 

Upstairs, Talyor and Vinh waited outside Room 201 for Chang and his men to arrive, there was no point in trying to hide their presence. They stood still, arms at their sides, as three men stepped out of the elevator and came warily towards them. "Chang?" asked Talyor. "We're with Ser Keating." 

One of the approaching men nodded. "Mind if we search the room?" he asked politely. 

"Be my guest," invited Talyor. "We've been through it once, but naturally you'll need to check for yourself." He would have, if the positions had been reversed. The two AISS men moved carefully away from the doorway, allowing the other man to do his job. The man who had spoken went into room 201, while Chang and his other guard remained in the corridor. Both pairs watched each other in silence, their eyes flicking up and down the length of the corridor every few seconds. 

The first guard had just completed his search of the room when the elevator doors opened again to discharge a man in red bearing a large bunch of flowers. Talyor and Vinh both tensed as he came towards them, their hands hovering over their stunners. To their surprise, Chang's guard quickly put out an appeasing hand.  

"Sir," he addressed the messenger. "These men are with Ser Keating. The room is clear." 

The messenger nodded without speaking and followed Chang and the first guard into the room, while the second, bald headed guard took up position outside the door, with his back against the wall.  

Talyor sent a message down to Callan, there was no point waiting to start the meeting at 14:00, everyone concerned was already here. Moments later the door to room 201 shut behind Keating and Callan, Vinh accompanying them into the room leaving Talyor to keep watch outside next to Chang's guard. Muller stayed below, monitoring the entrance to the hotel. 

Callan paused just inside the door, automatically scanning his surroundings as Ser Keating stepped forward to shake Chang's hand and also, rather surprisingly, that of the messenger. Evidently Chang had brought along a business associate as well as his guards. All five men were standing around a spacious room evidently set up for meetings. A large circular table filled the centre, complete with six console units and leather chairs. An extravagantly stocked refreshment unit stood against one wall and a door at the back of the room gaped open to reveal an adjoining shower cubicle and toilet. There was no bedroom, this was a business suite only. 

"So what's happened then to cause the big hurry?" Ser Keating was asking Chang, pleasantly enough as he prepared to sit down. Callan saw the flash of confusion on the other man's face at the same time he heard a faint scratching coming from the ceiling. In that instant, all of his suspicions about the strange meeting crystallised into certainty. 

"Everyone outside, now!" he yelled.