He knew?

“How dare you say that!” I screech at Daniel, how he dare say them things about my parents. He smirks at me, and I knew he was waiting for me to have an outburst; this was his plan, to make me lash out at him.

“Maybe it’s for the better, your parents can be happy now. Not that their much; you shouldn’t really care much about them.” His voice was plain, as if he was saying something normal. The words go through me, why was he doing this? Did he just want an excuse for me to be killed?

“My parents are ten times more than your parents will ever be.” They were, his parents were cold, mean and selfish, yeah they may have more expenses then mine, but mine were loving and caring, that’s all that mattered, they were good people unlike his. I can see I have hit a nerve, his eyes bulge and his mouth begins to tremble in anger, I can see a vein pop into his forehead as his breaths become rigid.

“My parents are better than yours by miles.” He chocked out, but even as he says the words, I can tell he doubts it. Since I have been here, I haven’t seen them show much affection to him as their child. I think to myself, that maybe he was only the way he was, to show he belonged in the Kine’s family; maybe he was just seeking for attention; to be seen, by his parents.

“Mine actually have a heart.”  His eyes grow wilder and his hands begin to shake. Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to provoke him, but I couldn’t stand here and listen to him talk about my family like that.

“It’s a shame, as yours go out for me.” I am taken back by his words, his anger was fading and a smirk comes to his lips. He knew that I was attracted to him? I don’t say anything; I try and keep a blush from creeping into my face.

“It’s a pity really mine doesn’t go out for yours. After all who’s would go out to you? Just look at you! You can’t even make a meal without making a spectacle out of yourself. And as for your looks, there not that good either, just look at you, its disgraceful! You’re my maid and that is all you will ever be.” His face was harsh, as he spat out each word; me flinching back as he did. He walks out of the room, a smile back on his face.

The tears were close, I could feel them, I try and push them away. I shouldn’t care what he thinks, I may be hideous and a disgrace, but I shouldn’t care as the words were spoken from Daniel Kine’s mouth. I can feel my inner core begin to tremble, the words stung, and did nothing for my confidence, not that I had one in the first place. I usually disguised, this weakness in me, but it was all coming down around me; I just couldn’t hold it in place anymore.

I begin to chop the herbs, trying to take my mind of what Daniel had just said, hopefully to distract me from crying. But after a while, the tears begin to leak, I don’t stop with preparing the food, just keep cutting harder and more violently into the herbs, wishing and pretending it was Daniel’s head. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this chapter is small, once i have finsihed the book and go back to the final edit, I will hopefully make this longer. Thanks to everyone who, has commented and supported the book. Happy reading :)