11 / Maddie

I woke up after hearing loud shouts. I noticed that Luke was gone and I got up pulling the top down and tightening the draw string. I put on my, now dry, socks and went downstairs and into the living room where I saw Luke, Calum, Michael and Ashton

"Oh, you're awake" Luke said and paused the game they were playing. He got up and came over to me. "Sorry, I forgot they were coming over"

"It's fine, I'll just get changed and go"

"No, no, no. You can stay longer"

"But I'm in the way"

"You're really not. Just stay for a while"

"Alright" I caved in and he smiled.

"Guys, Maddie's joining us"

"Yeah, whatever, let's get back to the game" Calum said. I sat on the end of the sofa, distancing myself from Michael.

"So, Maddie, why are you here?" Ashton asked.

"I, um-"

"I decided we should work on the project" Luke said, covering for me. I smiled but knew there was more to explain.

"OK, but why are you wearing Luke's clothes?"

"She came over when it was raining and was soaked when she got here so I let her borrow some of my clothes"

"Awh, isn't Lukey a good little boy?" Michael said, pinching Luke's cheeks.

"Fuck off" Luke said, pushing him away.

"But weren't you just asleep?"

"Guys, just leave her alone" Luke told them and they backed off.

**

"Do you wanna play?" Calum asked and I shook my head. They were still playing FIFA.

"Don't worry if you don't know how, we can teach you" Michael said.

"It's just my broth-" I stopped. Luke smiled at me sympathetically knowing what I was going to say.

"It's alright" Luke said and Michael and Calum started a new game. Luke came and sat next to me. "You OK?" I nodded. "I know you're not, it was a stupid question really"

"It's fine. At least you're here for me"

"What happened between you and your friends then?"

"They got annoyed with me because I'm giving you a chance and we're actually getting on"

"I get it, they're just worried about you"

"Thanks for everything today"

"You're welcome. So, you and your brother used to play FIFA?"

"Oh, all the time when he was home"

"I'm assuming you're pretty good then?"

"Good? I'm better than good"

"Oh, really? Wanna prove it?"

"I'll play you but I'm not playing with Calum and Michael"

"They're really not that bad"

"I'll make my own opinion"

"FIFA then?" I nodded and Luke pushed Michael and Calum away so we could play. I was soon beating Luke 7-3.

"Damn, Maddie, you're good" Michael said.

"I've played a few times before" I shrugged.

"Guys, can we do something other than play FIFA?" Ashton asked.

"Like what?" Calum questioned him.

"Order some pizza and watch a film"

"Sounds good" Ashton went to order the pizza whilst Luke tried to find a film. Luke gestured for me to come and pick one with him. I sat next to him as he went through the DVDs they had.

"What do you want to watch?"

"You can decide"

"No, we'll watch whatever. Horror?"

"Nope, I hate horror"

"Um, what do you like?"

"Anything with Will Smith in"

"No wonder you and Ash are friends. But I don't have any Will Smith films" He told me. I laughed slightly and he smiled. "There we go, I got a smile from you"

"I'm not gonna suddenly be OK, Luke"

"I know. What kind of films do you watch when you're sad?"

"Normally Mean Girls"

"Well then, you're in luck" He pulled out the Mean Girls DVD.

"Why do you own that?"

"My cousin brought it to watch once and left it here. She's never taken it back" I sat back down on the sofa and Luke sat next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. He set up the TV and pressed play as Ashton came into the room.

"Mean Girls? Seriously?"

"For Maddie" Luke told them. About half an hour later the doorbell rang and Ashton went to get it. He came back with the pizza and set it down.

"You want some?" Luke asked.

"I'm not hungry"

"Maddie, I know you're upset but you've got to eat" Luke whispered.

"I know, I just really don't feel like it"

"We'll share then, yeah?" I nodded and he smiled at me. Ashton had cut the pizza into 10. Luke took three pieces and ate one to himself first. He ripped off a bit of the next slice and gave it to me. I took the piece and ate it. He kept giving me more until he gave me a whole slice. I smiled at him and ate it. He took one last slice from the box and ate half before giving me the other half so we'd had two each.

***

"We better head off with school tomorrow and everything" Calum said and we said our goodbyes. Calum and Michael weren't as bad as I thought. The three of them left and I turned to Luke.

"I should get going too. I forgot it was a Sunday"

"No, no way are you walking home by yourself at this time of night"

"But-"

"You can stay here, it's fine. We can just skip school tomorrow"

"I don't want to go to school but I have to. My parents are already going to be annoyed with me for walking out and not coming home, I don't need them to have another reason to hate me when they get that phone call"

"OK, well, we better get to sleep then" I nodded and followed him up the stairs after he'd turned all the lights out.

"Where shall I sleep?"

"In my bed" He said as if it was obvious before leaving the room. Luke's top stopped at my mid thigh so I took off the sweat pants and got into the bed. Luke came back in wearing just his sweatpants. He crouched down to lay on the floor but I grabbed his arm and pulled him back up.

"It's your bed" I told him and he got in beside me and turned the table lamp off. "Sorry for being a burden" He turned on his side to face me and I did the same.

"I told you, you're not a burden. You're no bother. Anyway, it's been nice to have someone other than the boys to hang out with"

"Well, you were all a good distraction for me"

"I'm glad" He smiled as I yawned. "Go to sleep" He told me and I nodded.

"Thanks for everything"

"You're welcome" He mumbled as he kissed my cheek before turning onto his back.