A Flying Spark

AU: This story is undergoing major editing

Remember tonight, for it is the beginning of always.-Dante Alighieri

The stadium lights blinded me and the cheer of the crowd engulfed my ears, nearly deafening me as well. This is the price to pay when you attend a high school football game. I've heard in a lot of towns, football ain't such a big deal, but in a place like Tulsa it may as well have been life or death.

"Skylar!" My best friend, Cherry, shook my shoulder, dragging me out of my haze, "Bob's got the ball!"

I looked in the direction, but my focus was elsewhere. I'd gone to enough football games to last a life time, and they're all more or less the same even though I would never admit that to my friends. I heard a groan from the crowd, meaning something had gone wrong. I glanced up at the scoreboard and noticed for the first time that we weren't winning. I sighed, as the final buzzer sounds. Disappointed chatter echoed throughout the stands as the opposing teams fans stormed the field.

"Damn!" Cherry swore next to me, "I coulda' sworn he was going to catch that."

I shrugged, "You win some, you lose some."

She furrowed her brows at me, "Where's your school spirit?"

"On vacation." I rolled my eyes, "Come on, lets get out of here."

We hung around the bleachers, waiting up for the players. Cherry talked about Bob, who she was going steady with, but I barely listened. I was waiting for Randy, although I wasn't not sure why. We weren't going steady, but we weren't just friends either. We were somewhere in between where neither of us knew what we wanted or how the other one felt.

A couple of figures slinked out from the trees that surrounded the stadium, coming into the fading light of the sun. I recognized them, even if I've never spoken to them. They were greasers, hoods, undesirables. Give them any name in the book and a soc has probably called them that. You see, Tulsa is divided by money. The east side is poor and the west side is rich. I don't know how things turned out this way, but someone told me it's the way it's always been. Old habits die hard and all that.

"Hey ladies!" One of them called out, the only one I didn't know by name in fact.

He was older than the other two by a couple of years and had sandy brown hair and dark beady eyes.

Cherry however, clearly knew this one, "What are you doing here, Buck?"

"This is public property, mam." The other boy grinned.

I knew him from school, his name was Sodapop Curtis. Nearly everyone at school knows him, especially girls. He's not just good looking, he's beautiful. I'm not just saying that either, it's just a fact. He has sweet blue eyes and a smile that can win just about anybody over. I've always thought he could be a soc if he wanted to, but I guess he liked the crowd he ran with.

"Well, sir, this happens to be a school event for students. As in the thing you no longer are." Cherry retorted.

Cherry can be awful mean when it comes down to it. She's got sharp teeth and a smart mouth, but boys are crazy about her. She's even mean to the boys she goes steady with, but she can get away with it because she's so beautiful. She has bright red hair and emerald eyes that can stare down just about anybody.

Sodapop had dropped out a couple months back. His parents died in an auto wreck, and he just stopped showing up. It was a real shame too, he wasn't bad company in class. He didn't participate so much, but he always made sure everyone was laughing and he was even nice to the weird kids.

"And that means I can't support this lovely school?" He teased her further, his canine teeth poking out from behind his lips.

Cherry huffed, but didn't answer. If I'm being honest, I think she got just as flustered by Sodapop as anybody.

"What about me, baby? I go here. Does that mean I get to stick around?" The other boy spoke up.

That boy, Dallas Winston, was even more well known than Sodapop, but not for the same reasons. While Soda was known for being charming, Dallas was known for being the opposite. He was the hood of the school, the notorious bad boy. He wasn't just trouble, he was danger. . There was a rumor going around last year that he killed a kid when he was in New York and even though he never said a thing about it, I didn't have a hard time believing it. He skipped class for the most part, and the only time he did show up was to cause trouble. It was a miracle he hadn't been expelled.

"Do not start with me, Dallas Winston." She growled at him, arms covering her chest.

Like I said, Cherry isn't scared of boys.

"Your friend here doesn't seem to mind." He flicked his cigarette in my direction, the ashes burning a round circle into the grass. 

I started to snap a comeback at him, but I was cut off by the sound of approaching footsteps. Bob and Randy walked in our direction, and they made it perfectly clear they weren't too happy with our company.

"Get out of here." I hissed at Sodapop, but he just gave me a grin and shook his head.

"What are greasers like you doing over here? Talking to our girls?" Bob stared at them, stepping in front of Cherry and I.

"You should really rethink calling them your girls, they seemed pretty fond of us." Dallas edged them on.

Nobody that night had a real good reason to be fighting each other, but they never really needed one.

"Come on Randy, lets go." I tugged on his wrist.

We started walking away, but Dallas just couldn't keep his trap shut, "You always take orders from her like that?"

Randy stiffened for a moment and then turned around again in a flash, "Shut your mouth, hood."

Dallas and him got real close then, staring each other straight in the eye, daring one to make the first move. A fight was inevitable, no matter how hard I woulda' tried. Neither one was the type to back down. Dallas swung first, nearly knocking Randy flat, but Randy's strong and gained his footing and hit him right back, connecting solidly with Dallas's jaw. I saw it click in Dallas's head that he has to fight smarter, not harder. He kicked Randy's legs out with one swift motion, sending him flying to the ground. Before Randy has the opportunity to stand up, he delivered another blow to his rib cage with crushing impact.

"Sodapop get him off him!" I shouted, surprising myself by asking a greaser for help.

Buck was chuckling lightly to his side, but Sodapop grabbed Dallas by the shoulders and shoved him back. "Come on Dally, we're out of here. They learned their lesson."

Dallas was fuming, but he must of thought the fight wasn't worth it, because he turned away. "Think about who you're fighting next time."

Randy was laying on the ground, and blood was pouring out of his nose, a sure sign of it being broken. I kneeled down beside him, but watched as Dallas, Buck, and Soda scaled the tall metal fence and hopped onto the other side. Before they disappeared into the darkness I saw Dallas light another cigarette and grin at me. I told my myself that I never wanted to see them again, but the only problem was I couldn't even convince myself.