~Chapter Five~

Lady Stark

"Cyn!" Livia's shrill voice cut through the air like a knife through butter, her yell echoing from the nearby archway as she called for her sister. Jon stared at Cynthia who was now glaring towards her insufferable sister, who continued to yell until Cynthia replied. "I'm here Livia, what is it?" Cynthia shouted, jumping down from the fence and looking back up at Jon briefly before walking towards the archway. "Mother says you must get changed, Lady Catelyn wishes to speak with you privately," Livia snarled, eyeing Jon who continued to stand behind Cynthia. "Alright," Cynthia sighed in annoyance turning to Jon and also looking towards Robb who was now approaching his brother. "Thank you for today, it was most fun," Cynthia said politely before returning to her sister and making her way inside. She hadn't initially understood the reason behind making her change, but it was when Cynthia caught sight of her that she realised it was probably for the best. She was somehow coated with mud and pieces of her hair flew out in every direction, again how it had gotten to that state she did not know.

Having reached her room, Cynthia found Ghost to have been following her and was now sat upon her bed watching as she sifted through her wardrobe in hopes of finding something appropriate to wear. After finding something decent, Cynthia changed quickly and managed to tame her wild hair before joining her sister in the corridor, once again with Ghost hot on her heals. She welcomed the company Ghost brought, liking the sense of security she felt with him at her side, and the connection she felt to Jon whenever Ghost was with her. Livia led her further into Winterfell, not uttering a word until they reached Lady Catelyn's chambers. "Be polite," Was all she said before waltzing off down the nearby stairs. Looking to Ghost for some sort of guidance, Cynthia sighed before knocking quietly. She heard a faint invitation from beyond the door and instantly pushed it open to reveal Catelyn Stark gazing out of her window. She turned when hearing Cynthia enter, noting that Jon's wolf was at her side which she too found bizarre, but she smiled none the less. "My dear, i have hardly seen you since you arrived, how have you been?" Catelyn said warmly, gesturing for Cynthia to come forward and sit beside her on the bench beneath the window. Cynthia did as instructed and tried her best to sit up straight like her mother had taught her to. "I've been well, thank you." Cynthia replied, remembering her manners. "I'm glad to hear that..." Catelyn smiled, her eyes reminding Cynthia very much of Robb and Sansa.

"I saw earlier that you have a gift with the bow," She commented, gazing at Cynthia's cautious expression, "I'm curious as to when you learnt," Cynthia paused, not wanting to be disrespectful by saying how pointless she found her sewing or poetry lessons and instead chose to learn fighting, but not wishing to lie about the subject either. "I learnt when i was no younger than 10," Cynthia stated, not lying and not being offensive in anyway. "Did you not have lessons?" Catelyn asked curiously, to which Cynthia paused again. "I did...but i did not have as many as my sister, so I had more free time to learn my skills with a bow,"Cynthia smiled slightly, hoping Catelyn wouldn't disapprove of Cynthia's neglect for her education; not that Cynthia particularly cared what Lady Stark thought, but she knew her mother would bare a comment if anything was to be said to her about her daughters lack of intelligence and all things proper. "Why is that?" Catelyn continued to pry, clearly trying to get something out of Cynthia she just couldn't guess what. "I bared no interest in poetry or sewing, so my mother thought it pointless to sit me through them if i was not going to pay any attention," Cynthia couldn't care less anymore, she had given up skirting around the truth and was prepared to just state her opinion whatever the outcome. "I do not blame you. I always found my lessons to be dull, if it had not been for my mother forcing me to, i would have skipped them as well," Catelyn smiled at her, more than likely sensing the slight relief that flooded Cynthia at the knowledge that she wasn't being judged.

Ghost's head found it's way onto Cynthia's lap, nuzzling itself under her hand so that it was resting on his forehead. It was then Catelyn decided to make a remark on Cynthia's company. "It looks like Robb and Jon aren't the only ones who have taken a liking to you," She remarked, gaining a soft giggle, from Cynthia, that she could not hold back. "He appears to like me more than Jon," Cynthia smiled, looking at Ghost as he dozed off using her lap as a pillow. "That is not entirely unbelievable," Catelyn stated, a harsh ring in her tone. Cynthia restrained from commenting, Livia having mentioned something about Catelyn's dislike towards the bastard and the mutual feeling he had for her. It was a shame that he had to be so individualised because of his birth, a fact that he had not control over yet still has to suffer the consequences. They fell into a brief silence before Catelyn spoke up again, her voice more stern now than it had been before. "You are aware of your sisters engagement to my son Robb?" She began, eyes turning cold and resembling the blue of the harsh skies lurking outside. "Of course, it was the only thing Livia would speak of on the way here," Cynthia chuckled softly, remembering how unbearable she had found it at the time. "Then you will understand the importance of it. And why i must ask you to stay away from my son whilst he and your sister secure the engagement," Catelyn's tone was harsh and made Cynthia cautious. She found it hard to believe that Catelyn was even hinting to the fact that Cynthia would have anything to do with the failure of the engagement, and how her avoiding the Stark boy was going to help her sister was beyond her. "My lady, i assure you i have no interest in your son-" "And i did not hint that you did, i merely ask that you give the two their space to bond and kindle some sort of relationship before their engagement in finalised," Catelyn interrupted, placing a cold hand atop Cynthia's whilst staring intently at her, whilst Cynthia's eyes darted from Catelyn to the floor. "Of course, my lady" She nodded, her voice quiet and her gaze fixed upon Ghost who's eyes were now wide open.

There was a sudden knock at the door, which caused Ghost's eyes to dart in that direction. "Come in!" Catelyn called, before the door burst open to reveal Robb and Jon who continued laughing together as they entered the room. "Cynthia," Robb's smiled widened as he spotted the young blond girl who looked a lot prettier with her hair tamed and her clothes not coated with a thick layer of mud. "Robb. Jon." Cynthia bowed her head slowly,eyes locking with Jon's as she looked up at the pair. Jon's smile had faded but the look in his eyes was clear. Something positive at least, even though Cynthia couldn't clearly work out what it was. "That will be all, thank you Cynthia," Catelyn smiled sharply, implying it was time for Cynthia to leave. She nodded once more in Catelyn's direction before scurrying to the door, not looking up at Robb, who's smile was fading, and only briefly glancing at Jon who's gaze was still glued to hers. Ghost followed her lead, padding out the door behind her, and staring up at Jon before carrying on down the corridor with Cynthia. The nerve of Lady Stark, she thought to herself, how rude of her to even think she would try and ruin her sister's chance at marriage.