Chapter 07: The Beginning of Proximity and Distance

Due to sleep deprivation, my morning zoomed by in the blink of an eye. I guess that’s inaccurate. What I meant to say is that I couldn’t remember anything of my morning after that bathroom incident at Starbucks. It was a shame, really. It was my last day of school, already half had wasted by, and I was unaware of it. Michelle seemed fine - as far as everybody else could tell, she had gotten her glorious eight hours of sleep. Which would forever be a nagging mystery to me; her ability to make people see what she wants them to see. If only I had a portion of that talent… of course, I bet that came with a price, too.

I felt as though I should do something. Something to make my last day in Seattle unforgettable. But, unlike my mind, my body wasn’t as enthusiastic towards the idea. So all I ended up doing is staring here and there, memorizing the plain walls of our cafeteria. Yes, it was lunch time.

I ate. But only because of the glances Michelle and Blane were giving me.

Something seemed so weird. So out of ordinary.

I felt out of ordinary. And sadly, I couldn’t shake off the incomprehensible feeling.

Something was definitely wrong with me. Not even Phys.Ed. could wake me from my trance. It was as though I was not physically there, as though I was watching through a windowpane as somebody else moved my body. At an unbelievably slow pace. It was the first time ever that I became a nuisance to fellow teammates during a game.

I retired with the girls while the guys continued the game – more vigorously. That was a first too. I can’t remember a time I had sat on the bleachers voluntarily while there was a game in progress.

The girls beside me chattered and chanted, but their voices only reached me as echoes even though they were inches from me.

I hated this.

I liked the old me better. The me who could shake off anything. The me who learned to gain strength from those around me. The kind of person who was not afraid to move on, to change, to grow. I wanted this to stop, because I was being absurd. I had gone through worse.

It was getting quite annoying too. I mean, since when have I started to think so much?

I watched as the guys took a break and Blane started walking over to me. Except he wasn’t even staring at me. It was as though he couldn’t tell I wasn’t okay, which is pretty strange because from what I gathered of him, he was very insightful. Either that or he was preoccupied.

‘Maybe thirsty?’ I thought as I saw him reach for a water bottle. I was wondering about whose it could be when he dumped its contents on me.

I felt my body contract from the astonishment as water trickled down my face and down my shirt. I felt it seeping into my skin and cooled me instantly from the inside out. My body was cold from the fluid, but my head was boiling with rage.

“What the hell?!” I yelled at him.

He grinned. “Feel better enough to play?”

I smiled, knowing that I was feeling better enough to do anything. Now, anyways. “Not quite,” I said, looking in the opposite direction as I reached for the nearest water bottle.

“Don’t even try. You’ll just end up twice as wet as you are now,” he stated carelessly, acting as though it was a waste of time. But I could tell from his voice that not having a water fight was the last thing on his mind.

I took his false warning as a cue and snatched the water bottle off the bench and pointed it at him as though it were a gun. And, of course, I smirked. I didn’t give him the chance to utter any more cocky remarks because I squirted water at him without even a moment of hesitation.