4.3

Hayley

When Hayley came back from her first day of school, she found boxes stood outside and the entrance door propped open. At first she didn't find it weird, people moved in and out all the time, especially around that time of year. There was something that caught her eye, though. In one of the boxes was a rolled up Green Day poster.

She smiled – it reminded her of Calum and his love for the band.

And as if by thinking about a person she could make them appear, he was suddenly stood there, right in front of her when the lift doors opened.

"Hey," he said, studying her face. His eyes stayed on her for a longer time than usual. As if to search for a reaction.

"You skipping school? On the first day? Calum Hood, what a rebel."

But he didn't laugh at her joke. Instead, he kept his face straight. "I'm moving." His brows crunched together.

"Moving?" Then it dawned on her. The poster was his. "Why?"

"My mum has been looking at different houses for a while. It's not far, just a bit closer to town."

"What? But who am I meant to annoy with my terrible singing if you're not here?"

"There will probably be somebody else for you to serenade, I promise."

"But nobody like you." She pouted, pretending to act sad when really the tears she was about to burst into were real.

"I'll let them know you enjoy singing so they won't get a shock."

She tugged at his arm. "I'll miss seeing you every day. I'll miss hearing you and your idiot friends play heavy death rock metal upstairs–"

"Heavy death rock metal? It's usually Nickelback, hardy classed as death rock, if that's even a thing."

"Cal, I'm having a moment," she said, capturing him in a hug. "I'll even miss your ways of telling me to shut up when I was being loud."

"I'll miss hearing you try to hit those high notes," he giggled, but his smile soon faded into a sad one. "We'll still hang out, I know you don't go outside much but if you just get on the bus I'll pay the fare, okay?"

"You'll regret giving me that invitation. I'll be more annoying than Luke, probably get my own key cut and show up, like, all the time." Hayley laughed with him before they pulled away from their embrace. "Do you need any help packing your stuff or carrying anything?"

"My guitars, please, the bass..." he said, "a few boxes and my amp."

"As if! I can't do that, I don't even lift, bro. You'd never let me touch your guitars, anyway."

"Never in a million years. I'll handle them all on my own, but thanks for the offer."

"Will I see you later? Before you leave?"

"Yeah," he said, "I'll come down when we're all packed up."

Calum

calpal: help

smashton: just tell her

calpal: how did you know it was about her

smashton: because I know stuff

calpal: ok but idk how

smashton: use your mouth

He smashed into her halfway down the flight of stairs, him rushing down and her on the way up.

"Ow!" he rubbed his chest. "You in a rush?"

"I– wasgonna– tellyou– something before–" She gasped for air. "Beforeyou– left." Hayley was out of breath, and Calum had to try hard to understand what the blonde was on about.

"Me too."

"Youcan– go– first," she panted, still catching her breath.

"I wanted to ask you in a better way, these stairs kinda suck for a setting but you know I'm not a good planner or speaker or whatever," he said, feeling his hands start to shake. Calum wasn't good at emotional speeches, and hadn't got anything planned out. He just knew what he wanted to say before he had to leave. "Fuck it, just be my girlfriend?"

She looked like she was about to faint for a second, and Calum had to steady her so she didn't fall over. "Yeah, okay."

Calum smiled like an idiot, until his cheeks started hurting. A moment later he was backed up against the wall with her legs locked around his waist and his lips latched onto hers.

"Promise not to sing for anyone else."

"Why not?"

"They might fall for you."

"All the way down the stairs when they come to tell me to shut up?"

"All the way down the stairs, yeah." He put her down carefully, but kept his hands at her bum for a bit longer. "I like you a lot."

"I like you more than a lot. But please get your hands off of my arse, your mum's watching," Hayley whispered, leaning in to press a quick kiss just below Calum's ear.

Calum turned around to see his mother, and quickly released the girl he had his arms around. "I guess it's time to go?"

-

moving towards the end of this story, a few chapters left ahh

but don't be sad bc i have two new fics coming up

one muke fic, and a hemmo one

also read my mikey fic if you haven't bc mikey/jessa is my religion

~lauren